Using Self Service, it says packages are installed - but they are not anywhere on the Mac.

lmagnif
New Contributor

Using Self Service, it says packages are installed - but they are not anywhere on the Mac. I can't see where anything is configured incorrectly.

12 REPLIES 12

Winterhalter
New Contributor III

If the package is an installer and the installer runs but doesn't error out then there's no way for JAMF to know it failed.
I know this happened when I had institutional Adobe CC installs run on a computer that didn't meet the system requirements - the installer would finish without errors but no software.

lmagnif
New Contributor

This issue we are having is that absolutely nothing at all installs - and this is on models that can definitely run the software. Not one thing is installing. So there's got to be a configuration issue (or user error) somewhere. Even the jamf.log file shows successful installs with no error.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Can you just place the .pkg locally on the system and then manually install it? Does that work successfully? At least then you can confirm the the .pkg will work to some degree.

You should also look in /var/log/install.log for errors related to the .pkg installation.

lmagnif
New Contributor

That the odd thing - the install log shows that it was successful. And I can't even place a pkg file on to the target Mac. All I can do is have the Mac view the Self Serve Store and kick off an install (that says successful even though it is not) but can't do ANYTHING else... even though it looks like everything is working.

djdavetrouble
Contributor III

I think quite a few more details are needed here or you should contact support...
Logs to check: jamf.log and install.log
what is the package?
what happens when you install locally? does the package require a logged in user?
post some logs and more details .

lmagnif
New Contributor

I've got Jamf Support involved and so far, they haven't been able to figure it out. I was hoping someone might have run into this issue. It is literally ANY package. All logs show nothing but successful installs. Installing locally works fine - it only fails when trying to use JAMF. The packages do not require anything special, by the way. It seems to be a configuration issue. All of the problems started when the IP address of our file distribution point changed (and I subsequently updated the IP address in JAMF Pro to reflect the new address). I can see the Macs, I can send policies to them, etc. I just can not push software to them from the Distribution point (which is physical, not a cloud share).

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

Any mounting errors from Casper/Jamf Admin?

lmagnif
New Contributor

No errors at all. Everything looks great - just nothing actually installs (even though it says it does).

wesleya
Contributor

Can you tell us a little more about the PKG? Here's what I'm wondering:
- What is it supposed to install?
- As mentioned, does it work if it's run locally?
- Is it a PKG or DMG?

user-uTsgqrkPye
New Contributor

HI, did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Thanks.

jazz-admin
New Contributor

I would like to know as well if you were able to figure it out. I have the exact same issue. Some self service apps install but most don't. Other than uploading the installer, are you supposed to modify the pkg/dmg files before uploading it to the distribution point?

Jared-Grosser
New Contributor II

I don't see a reply here that mentions a fix, did you find one? I am having the same issues. 

Thanks!