vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>

mjames
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeing a lot of our systems having the "vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>" error when cliets try to install VPP apps via Self Service on MacOS (most clients are 10.14.2).

I have tried clearing the failed commands, reconning, re-enrolling etc with no luck.

I am hesitant to revoke all apps as I have seen suggested because I am concerned about the number of people who will experience iTunes notifications about apps not being assigned (the staff at this school are fragile...).

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pbowden
Contributor III

@mjames @whitebeer The issue with storedownloadd crashing during MAS installs is fixed in 10.14.4 Beta 4 (18E205e). This is RADAR 47685116. Let me know if you still see problems after the update. For clarity, typical symptoms of this bug:
- Larger MAS apps like Xcode and Office fail to install and leave behind an .appdownload stub
- Needing to run multiple jamf recon commands to coerce apps to install
- MDMClientError:72 failed command seen in JSS

I've updated https://macadmins.software/mas with the latest info. The largest outstanding issue that I'm still tracking is the inability to update MAS apps through MDM when the user has the app perpetually open.

View solution in original post

407 REPLIES 407

SureExclamation
New Contributor III

I opened a ticket with support on this just the other day and they sent me a list which is to renew VPP token and check network for anything that may be blocking communication with Apple (I doubt it's the latter). I am hopeful to work on this today.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/512/knowledge-base-video-renewing-a-managed-distribution-token-with-jamf-pro

ajfunk
Contributor

@markl - I tried the steps that were recommended to you, but I still receive the error 72. Hope this works for you, though!

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@markl If you read this entire post which I know is a-lot, this is part of long list of things that may or may not work and believe me theres a-lot of things to try it's all Intermittent

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I guess we aren't the only ones running into this. Question: if we create packages for Xcode, etc. with composer and push that way, can they be silently upgraded? That is the main reason we are switching any apps in the App Store to managed.

krismonier
New Contributor II

This is absolute insanity. Every time I wipe a machine I have to jump through 20 hoops to get it to download a simple app. I'm going insane.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Not sure who's watching the kids over at Apple, its not like their APNS changes are happening now...

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=11042019a&1572897862

--
https://donmontalvo.com

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Just filed for this using the @donmontalvo listed AppleCare ticket and Jamf numbers. My SE from apple said Engineering is working on a fix and they are quite aware of the issue.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

jamisondonato
New Contributor II

This is affecting us nearly 90% of the time. Cancelling the failed commands, sending blank push, run sudo jamf recon MIGHT fix it, but usually fails multiple times before it completes. This is will all apps, even something small like Trello. Extremely frustrating when attempting to deploy ~150 laptops. The hands off benefit is completely lost with this issue. It requires us to babysit each and every unit and repeat the same steps multiple times to hopefully get it to succeed. This seems to be a repeating issue and I've read that its both Apple and JAMF's problem since earlier this year. We are new semi-new to JAMF but this is really helping me prove its cost to upper management. Please prioritize this so we can use the product as intended and sold to us.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

So I don’t believe this is an Jamf issue, Jamf has sent the MDM command to APNS. That is the end of Jamf‘s responsibility so it becomes an Apple problem

dpodgors
Contributor

I don't know if this is just coincidence, but I just added a couple more free licenses to one of the apps in VPP and now all the VPP apps are working again.

OOPS spoke too soon...

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

If Apple doesn't fix this very soon, we're going to make it rain on them.

Yes, I'm pointing them to this thread.

--

buhruce
New Contributor II

I'm dealing with the same issue. Our firewall is not blocking APNS traffic. Reached out to my rep and referenced 100893229861.

Very happy we didnt switch from MAU to MAS.

LaMantia
New Contributor III

On-prem JSS 10.16.1

I think I just had a breakthrough! I've had the "vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>" on macOS devices for months now across various versions of the JSS.

Our master is in the DMZ. The Console is always off. “Computer Access only”

Turning it on to “Full Access” has resolved this for me on the first few tests today. Including a macOS device that was failing over and over for weeks no matter what I did.

I’ve only tested with free MS Office via VPP. So far so good.

Can anyone else confirm this condition?

hhorn
New Contributor III

Sorry to say this, but we are still seeing this issue...

TristanH
New Contributor II

hhhhmmmm
No. It is not the solution for us.

Hello @hhorn,
which permissions need your API-User? Your Script works fine, but I have trouble with blank push to computers.

ChrisRybin
New Contributor II

Any updates on this? Still running into this issue.

Thank you

ajfunk
Contributor

The issue is still happening at my org. Again - iOS VPP apps seem to be unaffected (for me, at least).

Heavy_D
Contributor III

I have stopped using Self Service for now as it's a complete waste of my time until it's fixed. I have switched back to AutoPkgr and rolling the Applications manually. This SUCKS! but until it's fixed can't afford to come back to a users machine and run the same commands x100 till it works.

arnokenis
New Contributor III

Having just made the switch from deploystudio (yeah, a little late to the party) to fully deploy computers with DEP and VPP, this really is a setback.

Going back to packaging app store apps feels like going backwards.

Also seeing how long this issue has been around, that's a bit of a disappointment and unacceptable.

admindaly
New Contributor III

Just adding my org to the list. Started seeing this today. Have had enough trouble sorting Xcode out and now I can't get it to install at all :(

Danko
New Contributor III

If I'm honest.. I started seeing this issue in our org after setting up an enrollment package for our prestage enrollment. Could be a kind of coincidence?

Pedz
New Contributor II

+1 on this :(

rblaas
Contributor II

+1 here... But we mostly see it when we enroll a mac..

jbosma
New Contributor II

I do not have any prestage enrollments and I continue to see this. The only way around it that I've found it to try to send the blank push before it fails and then the apps will install. If I'm not quite quick enough to get the push off, it will fail until I've sent the blank push.

Ajayv
New Contributor III

we are still seeing this issue...

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Apple updated my ticket, not very helpful.

We are hoping to release a fix for this issue before the end of the year, however we cannot yet confirm a release date. We’re doing everything possible to get a fix to our customers asap and I’ll notify you immediately once a fix is available to test.
Regards,

AppleCare Enterprise Services
Technical Support Engineer

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

c_kay
New Contributor III

I’m seeing this issue with macOS 10.15.1 & macOS 10.14.6. Hope they fix it for both.

joepopson
New Contributor III

Same here. Seeing this issue on macOS 10.14.6 machines.

Hope a fix is soon.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Maybe we have to pay for the "Pro" version of VPP from Apple to get this to work :).

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@kerickson is that the "New And Improved" version? :)

--

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo Yeah yeah “it’s the most advance VPP Apple has ever created” - Apple every year.

dtmille2
Contributor III

Affecting my machines as well. Called Jamf support. They said it is this:

PI-007435 (Third-Party Issue) Mac App Store apps fail to install if the App Store cannot be reached by the computer within 30 seconds of sending the InstallApplication command. This results in an MDMClientError: 72. Workaround: Verify that your network is not preventing computers from reaching the App Store. Verify that your VPP token is not already in use by another MDM provider or another Jamf Pro instance. If the problem persists, contact Jamf Support and reference PI-007435.

No solution at the moment. Am I back to using Apple IDs?

mpout
New Contributor II

From reading through this thread I think I'm getting that this is actually an Apple VPP issue not necessarily a JAMF issue (correct me if I'm wrong) So is there a case open with Apple that we can all throw our frustration at?! I can't believe this is still an issue!

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@mpout yeap, Jamf has a ticket with Apple, scroll up to an earlier post that includes our tic and Jamf's tic.

--

joepopson
New Contributor III

Anyone have a solution for this? We use VPP deployment for macOS App Store Apps such as "Slack/ etc"

The apps deploy fine, but don't update at all.
The only solution now is to completely delete the app, check into inventory, and redeploy the latest App via Self Service or set to install automatically.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Was seeing this about two weeks ago on a few new-enrolled machines, found this thread, read it, and then got busy doing something else. Came back a bit later and the Apps were installing successfully all of a sudden. Shrug. Now, I'm seeing it happen again to a newly-enrolled Mac. I can't seem to determine what the difference is. Timing? Communication to the JSS? Time or delay after enrollment? It's very weird.

joepopson
New Contributor III

I have the Apps deploy with no problem at all.
It's the Apps that already HAVE been deployed that don't get updated until they are removed and completely re-pushed.

And yes the Apps are fully quit, on good wifi, users restarted their Macs, etc

benducklow
Contributor III

@joepopson I think the issue are are referencing is this PI:

PI-006120 - Jamf Pro fails to update Mac App Store apps that are made available in Self Service and configured to automatically update.

Its been opened for awhile now and is a reason we have to create uninstall policies for any Mac App Store/VPP applications.

joepopson
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply @benducklow

Will look into this to implement, although this is less than ideal for a solution that should "just work".

Thanks again!

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

I think I may have to move back to the good ole PKG for office deployments :( . Apple you make me sad.