What 1-2-1 Parental control options for MacBooks do you use?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Curious about any district using MacBooks (Pro, Air or otherwise), and if you are using any app or service for more parental controls?

I have parents wanting more control of website blocking, time limits, and general view of what their child is doing on said machine.

Jamf Parent would be great for this if it worked with Macs and not just iPads.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
6 REPLIES 6

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Screentime is a built in solution. We suggest it but don't support it.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Sorry I should have said, 3rd party solutions. Screen time is not manageable unless the parent is given an admin account on the computer which is not really feasible. (unless someone has a method for this that works well).

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

When you setup screen time the parent can choose a 4 digit pin and have recovery options via an apple ID. No admin account is required. The reason why we say we don't support it is the parent could lose their pin/skip recovery options. Our policy is to wipe if that's the case. Works in Catalina 15.7

Screentime Support

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

question @larry_barrett . We found that some of the parental controls from screen time on the MacBooks cause issues with test loading in TestNav and we have to disable them.  Im now trying to create an extension attribute to show if the user has screen time enabled so we can send a message to these specific students and parents.

Ever do anything like this?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

The accounts that the kids are logged into are "Managed Apple IDs" that our district creates in ASM. I don't believe these are able to be assigned to parents via that pin option.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Actually, I realize that its not the managed apple id's thats the problem with this. It's really the "Federated" Managed Apple IDs that seem problematic.

However when in the students account this does look to be a somewhat decent solution as long as we also state we don't support it due to the lost pin issue.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools