Xerox Printer driver upgrade

cyberspread_71
New Contributor III

Hey everyone. Need help.

Printer: Xerox Workcenter 7970
Current Installed Driver: 3.113.0 - We initially created the printers by taking a test machine and installing the 3.113.0 driver>Set up the printers in System Preferences>Printers & Scanners. Used the CUPS interface to set the defaults and used Casper Admin to add them to our policies. Seems like the standard way of doing it.

Current available driver: 3.123.0 - Now that a new printer driver is available, we would like to update as we have had a couple of issues. The driver may not fix the issue but we would like to rule it out.

We have had a hell of a time doing so.

What is the best way to update printer drivers?

Do I just recreate the printers and re-add them to Casper admin? Printer names cannot change.

I did go into JSS>Settings>Printers and noticed that "Use generic PPD file" checkbox was checked with a path of "/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Resources/Generic.ppd" - Should this not be pointing to the PPD files that were created when we setup the printers?

What we have done:

-Downloaded the driver from the Xerox website and added it directly to Casper Admin. Added to policy and created a custom trigger. This did not work.

-Downloaded the driver from the Xerox website and added it to Composer. Created it as a package. Added to policy and created a custom trigger. This did not work.

--Downloaded the driver from the Xerox website. Created a Normal Snapshot. Created it as a package. Added to policy and created a custom trigger. This did not work.

-We created a test printer on our print queue. Loaded the old driver on a test machine, made the settings and added to Casper admin. Added the same printer, installed the new driver, made the settings and added that to Casper admin.

So at this point we don't know what is going to work. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

3 REPLIES 3

tak10
Contributor II

Ken,

I've tried it myself I had 4 - Xerox WC 7970 , 2 - WC 7855 , and 2 - WC 5855 with Version 3.52.0 Xerox driver installed.

Created a policy to install Xerox Driver pkg file Version 3.123.0
Result: Both 5855 driver shows up as version 3.123.0, both 7855 shows up as version 3.123.0, only one 7970 shows up as version 3.123.0 and other three are still showing 3.52.0.

This may be specific to 7970. Luckily only 4 7970 we have in our building is all used by the Windows users. You may need to contact Xerox support on this.

tak10
Contributor II

So I removed all the 7970 printers and re-added 7970 printers from JSS policy. The one 7970 printer that had 3.123.0 driver reverted back to 3.52.0 driver.

I also removed 5855 and 7855 printers install and re-add them using the same method. It came back on as 3.123.0 driver.

I'm leaning towards combination of 7970 and this driver package issue. Since I'm not seeing the issues with other models.

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I wrote a post on how I deployed Xerox printer drivers at a former job. It's available from here:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/deploying-xerox-print-drivers-on-a-per-os-basis-via-cas...