Jamf School - Best practice for setting up the various policies/restrictions

poala00
New Contributor

Below is a screenshot of the Jamf School Profile/Settings interface.

I am confused about how to do this overall. Is the idea that you basically create holistic settings that are all encompassing for a type of device, and you put all of the things and stuff in one, and only apply "one per device" or is the idea to be granular and only for example configure the WiFi, Certificates, DNS Proxy if needed, and that's it.

If the idea is to be more modular, is there any type of guide that covers which policies can conflict in which case it's a race condition to determine which profile is applied if there are conflicting settings that would prevent the other profile from applying?

If I had to guess it should kinda look like this.

Modular profile 1 - Connectivity related settings only. So WiFi, Certs, and anything needed to get your content filter to work on the device.

Beyond that, I don't know. How should these things be chunked up, or should it be that beyond the connectivity profile, that it should be "monolithic" to help protect against race conditions?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1

GregBobbett
Contributor

I'm not sure if this will help, but Jamf seems to have updated their documentation here: Device Configuration - Jamf School Documentation | Jamf

As to Using Profiles, I use them for specifics. I create a profile for each setting (almost). This allows me to have multiple variations that I might need for different items such as Wi-Fi for students, Wi-Fi for teachers/Staff, Restriction for students, special "lockdown" restrictions for those exploratory students :-), etc. One exception is that I put Certificates in with my Restrictions profiles. 

I hope this helps some.  

Greg Bobbett