Managed Apple IDs and Activation Lock

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I just wanted clarification on this:
Devices with a Managed Apple ID logged into it can still get Activation Locked?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

skinford
Contributor III

If you make sure that the following settings are set in your Mobile Devices, PreStage Enrollment:

b4de8da76019443cb80b6a1c2eb1ac01

Then the device is locked on your Apple School account and not their account. Which will allow you to unlock them with your Apple School account when you need to. I was able to unlock an iPad today because of this being set.

Was that what you were asking?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

skinford
Contributor III

If you make sure that the following settings are set in your Mobile Devices, PreStage Enrollment:

b4de8da76019443cb80b6a1c2eb1ac01

Then the device is locked on your Apple School account and not their account. Which will allow you to unlock them with your Apple School account when you need to. I was able to unlock an iPad today because of this being set.

Was that what you were asking?

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Kinda of yes. I had 3 ipads that had been "lost" (behind a desk apparently) and all 3 were immediately wiped. After the wipe they came up with an Activation Lock and it was one of our Managed IDs...but we don't know which ID. These 3 ipads would have been enrolled a few years ago so I'm sure they didn't get that prestage setting.

I guess now I'm unclear what those two settings do now.

ZomBMnky
New Contributor

I believe as long as you have them enrolled via prestage it should always allow you to unlock. or am I miss understanding the question.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Correct. However, we run into ipads that are no longer communicating with JSS all the time. The cert expires and then only a re-enroll can get it going again. Also, sometimes the techs wipe the ipad without remembering to get the user to logout of iCloud 1st although that has been rare.