Install network printer

Jeffthetech
New Contributor

I'm trying to install network printers without binding my Macs to AD.  I'm using Jamf Connect for passwords and for network drives.  Those work great.  It's the printers that I'm getting hung up on.

I created a policy that adds the printers and the drivers.  The printer will install, I just can't print to it.  The printer hangs in a "printer is in use" message.  Here is the script that I'm using.

lpadmin -p Ricoh_Second_Floor -E -o printer-is-shared=false -v smb://Printer IP/Printer Name -P "/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd" -o ColorModel=RGB -o ColorDevice=True -o auth-info-required=negotiate

3 REPLIES 3

talkingmoose

Leave Jamf Connect out of the mix for the moment.

How would you configure the printer manually without it? Do your end users need to authenticate to it or something? If so, how/where do they enter their credentials?

Normally, we install printers for Macs via LPD.  Via Windows, we use GPOs or just manually install them via our print server.  We don't need to authenticate with the printers at all.

So, the problem doesn't stem from anything Jamf Connect's doing or the fact you're no longer binding to AD?

A few things I see do look strange to me.

• You're attempting to print to an SMB print queue and not an LPD print queue.
  • You're printing to "Printer IP/Printer Name" when just an IP address or DNS should do.
  • And you might want to include the friendly name of the printer (the name the end user sees in System Settings) by add the -D option.

See if something like this gives you a better result:

lpadmin -p "Ricoh_Second_Floor" -L "Second Floor" -D "Ricoh Second Floor" -E -v "lpd://printer.example.com" -P "/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PrintCore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Generic.ppd" -o ColorModel=RGB -o ColorDevice=True -o auth-info-required=negotiate

You may or many not need to specify the queue name if the printer has only one queue.