Jamf Connect issues with Uppercase UPN

perryd84
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm seeing a very odd issue when using JAMF Connect with Azure/Entra accounts with Uppercase letters in the UPN.

Users with a UPN that is in a format like User.Name@Microsoft.com will be prompted to enter admin credentials to setup touch ID and some other setup assistant items which they can't as they are standard users. Also any scripts that need to be run as the user, for example a dockUtil script, will throw up errors that "user.name is not in the sudoers file" and the script will fail.

Users with a UPN like user.name@microsoft.com work absolutely fine. Setup assistant runs fine and all and any scripts run perfectly even with the user being a standard account.

Has anyone else seen issues like this?
A work around is to set all UPNs to lowercase and the problem goes away but I want to know why this is an issue?! All user details are created exactly the same if logging in with upper or lower case so theres no clear difference between accounts created with upper or lower.

5 REPLIES 5

cenforce
New Contributor III

Perhaps the problem is that users with a UPN in a format like User.Name@Microsoft.com are experiencing prompts for admin credentials during setup assistant tasks like configuring Touch ID, and script executions are encountering errors related to sudo permissions. Interestingly, the problem disappears when UPNs are set to lowercase. While a workaround is available, the cause of the issue remains unclear, especially given that user details are created the same way for both uppercase and lowercase accounts.

jamf man

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

Jamf Connect converts your users to lowercase causing issues with other products that (rightfully) expect the username to remain constant. I believe a Product Issue was created for this, but it was never given to me. @rabbitt is aware of this issue and might be able to shed some more light on it. He and I had a long conversation a few months ago about it.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the link to the convo its really interesting!

I might add my findings to the chat and see if anything can help look in the right place.

Very very odd issue which is causing me a huge head ache😫

Out of interest did you have a better work around or solution?

We decided not to continue use of the product because of this issue.