Safari showing black screen after OS Update

sayr01
Contributor

Hi, 

Has anyone come across this issue?  Since updating safari to version 17.3 on M1 iMacs, no matter what site we navigate to it just showing a black screen. Safari loads and it seems the pages are loaded too but everything is blacked out. 

Any ideas?

thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Im not suggesting a wipe and re-install. (Though that would work too) Just the reinstall... Download the full Sonoma 14.3 installer and install it overtop of the existing 14.3. User files will not be affected. However, Safari should be overwritten with a new copy from the 14.3 installer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

The workflow I usually follow.

1. Try holding shift while you refresh the page to force Safar to dump cache and request a new copy of the page.
  2. Enable developer mode and investigate the logs.
  3. If it's just a single user, try rebuilding the profile.
  4. If it's just a single device install macOS.

mojo21221
Contributor II

Experiencing this too. Tried new profile, new local user account and a few other things that didnt work. However, after updating to Sonoma 14.3 and in some instances downloading a fresh full Sonoma 14.3 and installing it on top of itself the issue finally went away. 

I did update to latest version of Sonoma but the problem persists.  I was on the phone with apple engineer who concluded that the update might have broken safari and will need a new safari update to fix this issue! 

I can't wipe and reinstall Sonoma since we have 250 iMacs with this issue! 

Im not suggesting a wipe and re-install. (Though that would work too) Just the reinstall... Download the full Sonoma 14.3 installer and install it overtop of the existing 14.3. User files will not be affected. However, Safari should be overwritten with a new copy from the 14.3 installer.

I will give this a go and see what happens.  

thank you 

Thank you.. worked perfectly 

dmichels
Contributor II

When there is an issues with one web browser and waiting on fix, I don't get too upset because you still can use Google or Firefox as a web browser. When one is acting up, it is nice to have other options when waiting on a fix. 

yeah,  I have deployed Edge and Firefox ( already have chrome on them) so people don't complain too much. 

still we have people who are so attached to safari that asking them to use an alternative browser is like asking them walk on fire!!!

That sums it up perfectly! LOL