Webex Call Setting

JMontey1
New Contributor II

Is there a way to force the setting in Webex to automatically use webex for the "start call with" setting with a script or policy? There are some users that have this set to Facetime. In Webex, the 3 options available are Webex, Facetime and Microsoft Teams.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 1.15.10 PM.png

I've found this plist that may have some power to change:  

/Users/(CurrentUser)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices/com.apple.launchservices.secure.plist

I'm unsure how to change these variables. I tried using the defaults command but no luck.

Thanks in advanced!

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

You will need to reach out to Cisco. WebEx on macOS is a very poorly made product. In a well-made product you would manage this with a Configuration profile. However, Cisco has specifically designed WebEx to not respect /Library/Managed Preferences. I went round and round on managing WebEx on MacOS with Cisco maybe 6 months back, a total waste of time.

In the off chance my past experiences can help: Webex stores its preferences in /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist. I am not sure what key you will need to modify, but if it can be set it will be set here. I currently just deploy the .plist with a package rather than creating it with a script. Because it's not a Configuration Profile, users can change the settings. So, I wrote an EA to monitor the setting we want to set and rerun the package if they are ever changed. 

Plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>OrganizationID</key>
	<string>String here</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Extension Attribute:

#!/bin/sh

if [[ -f /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist ]]; then
  vers=$(/usr/bin/defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.cisco.webexmeetings.config.plist OrganizationID)
  echo "<result>$vers</result>"
else
  echo "<result>Not Configured</result>"
fi

joshuasee
Contributor III

If you need to do this programmatically you should probably look into duti, a command line tool for setting URL schemes and UTI associations in macOS. It has not be updated for many years, however, so I don't know how well it works at this point.