10.10.4 is out

50 REPLIES 50

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hello from 10.10.4. Goodbye discoveryd!

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Now for the Combo and AutoDMG to update their profiles :)

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

10.10.4 Combo can be found here

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Non combo is here

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Combo Update: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1820
Delta Update: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1819

These links are not searchable yet; I had to increment the DL#### in the URL in order to find them.

Edit: goddammit, beaten by 9 minutes. :P

rmancera
New Contributor

What is the package called, so that it can be restricted? Is it more simple to just do a OSXUpd*?

Also what is the difference between Combo and Non.

Sorry guys newbie here...

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

A Combo updater includes all previous updates for the same major version, and can be applied to systems running any minor version of the same major version (10.10.0 ~ 10.10.3). The non-combo is also called a "delta" and can only be used to update from the previous version (10.10.3 -> 10.10.4 ONLY).

Best practice to avoid unexpected software updates is:
1) Managed machines should not have admin rights;
2) You should be redirecting the Macs to your in-house software update server.

What do you think is the harm in preventing users from installing this update?

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

The Combo Updater can be applied to any version of Yosemite (10.10.*) to bring it up to the current version.

The regular (non-combo) update just updates the previous point release to the current.....in this case 10.10.3 to 10.10.4.

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

oops too slow, what @bradtchapman said.

The updates are hefty:
1.9 GB for the Combo
1.0 GB for the regular update

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

"1) Managed machines should not have admin rights;"

Hahahahaha thats a good one! If only!

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

Hey @Josh.Smith , I don't think you're showing enough pieces of flair under your avatar. Gonna need a few more badges. ;-)

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

@bradtchapman lol yes that's what happens when you combine a Training Pass and being 8 miles from a JAMF office! Now I'm hungry for Chotchkie's for lunch...

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'm assuming it will but has anyone tried Mac App Store 10.10.4 build on the new retina MacBook Pro?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Deployed OS X 10.10.4 non combo to a couple of test machines, had a weird issue.

Some of the 2011 iMac's made a really loud beeping sound before rebooting. Has anyone experience this before? The 2013's & 2014's (slim iMac's) made no noise.

It's not the end of the world, these updates go out at night anyway.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@Abdiaziz The update has a firmware update embedded in it for those older machines that could have their firmware screwed with when waking from sleep. Beep is the firmware update getting applied.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Thanks for clarifying! @chriscollins

cybermac
New Contributor II

TRIM Support included after OS X 10.10.4 Update for non Apple SSDs.

sudo trimforce enable

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

On my 1st try the new retina MacBook Pro are working...

C

SGill
Contributor III

The firmware update for OSX 10.9 and 10.8 is showing to be its own update now: "Mac EFI Security Update 2015-001"

You early testers seeing good luck with this one (minus the beeps, of course!) ?

Thanks!

Edit: larger pushes of the 10.8.5 version of the EFI update were causing freezes in about 5% of targets here

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@Gillaspy

Installed on my work iMac and personal laptop, no issues whatsoever.

dmw3
Contributor III

Installed Combo and Delta updates to test machines, no issues so far.

Combo update needs 4.3GB of space!

Preparing to release Combo update via policy tonight.

bse_college
New Contributor III

Anyone care to share a best strategy for getting 10.10.4 to 1350 students with managed MacBook Airs (none officially have admin rights)?

Silent deploy of Cache combo update to smart group specified with sufficient SSD space?

Then a Self Service option with a prompt to have plugged into AC adapter & that it will take up to two hours to deploy?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for checking @gachowski

sean
Valued Contributor

Could it be finally fixed?

Security Update 2015-005

and not just for the current Yosemite!

04884df1c89c47629a8a2933a79a98e8

rootpipe full disclosure

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

@Nick_Shortal , pre-caching is the best way to go. Those newer machines will probably install the combo updater in less than 10 minutes. But do you have multiple file distribution points? Otherwise your poor file server will buckle under the pressure of trying to send the package to 1350 machines, and it could take several hours to several days (multicasting is not possible in your scenario).

dcgagne
Contributor

@mstricz

Be very careful when turning TRIM on for third party SSDs. A flaw in Crucial, Micron, Samsung, as well as other brands can cause critical data loss if TRIM is enabled. The full list of the drives (as well as the Linux black list) can be found here

CorpTech
New Contributor III

Any ideas when AutoDMG might update their profiles? I use that for making new images and applying updates to them.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Awaiting that as well... Both AutoDMG and AutoCasperNBI work fine with 10.10.4 though.

CorpTech
New Contributor III

I did see that though which is nice! Just running the updates post imaging is kind of a pain when I can just have AutoDMG build them in.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

@sean That was interesting. I liked how clear and to the point that speaker was.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Seems like 10.10.4 combo via Self Service works with the built in restart options (unlike the 10.10.3 combo) and doesn't need the "shutdown -r now" command in place of the stock options. This is installing on top of 10.10.3.

It also looks like running a background "softwareupdate -ai" on Macs will pull down and install the 10.10.4 updates from ASUS without locking up the GUI like the 10.10.3 updates did. This is also installing on top of 10.10.3. Installing 10.10.4 on top of 10.10.2 still locks up the GUI and no apps launch. A reboot will bring the system up on 10.10.4.

Oh happy day! Anyone care to confirm?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

AutoDMG profile for 10.10.4 (14E46)

https://github.com/erikng/AutoDMGUpdateProfiles/blob/master/UpdateProfiles.plist

/Users/YOU/Library/Application Support/AutoDMG/UpdateProfiles.plist

(Courtesy of sohailmamdani in the ##osx-server IRC channel)

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!

CorpTech
New Contributor III

@dstranathan Do I just copy that updateprofiles.plist that i downloaded from github that was in the zip file to the file location you specified?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@CorpTech Yes, I simply renamed the existing (10.10.3) file and dropped the new 10.10.4 file into Library/Application Support/AutoDMG/

CorpTech
New Contributor III

@dstranathan AWESOME THANK YOU. will this cover things like the garageband update or is that just part of the os installer?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

It appears only iTunes 12.2 and ARD 3.8.4 are covered.

I usually wait for MajorValp (Per Olofsson) to update his in-app profile update but I have been impatient and anxious to get 10.10.4 into testing, so I manually grabbed a profile from GitHub.

pcrandom
Contributor

Per Per (heh), he's on travel, which is why the profile hasn't been updated. But it looks like Erik Gomez, whose updated UpdateProfiles.plist is linked to above, has also submitted the same profile as a pull request for AutoDMG.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

GarageBand and the other iLife and iWork apps come from the App Store, so they're not part of the base OS or handled by AutoDMG.