Adobe CS4 redux

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

So.....

CS4 is hard to install, CS3 was a cinch. What exactly changed? I am using the pre and post configs from the resource kit and the policy is triggered at start up... Before that it was just start up trigger. If I copy the image file manually and manually install it, all is kosher - no problems. However, through Casper I get mixed results. So I am trying the resource kit.

It launches and runs but it has been sitting there for a good 45 minutes now and not one completed. I am using CS4 Design Premium.

How are you all deploying it, and are you using the resource kit stuff?

Thanks

Tom

14 REPLIES 14

Bukira
Contributor

I install at imaging as it's soooooo much easier, I will be doing it via self service with the resource pack which worked in testing,

dderusha
Contributor
On Sep 15, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Criss Myers wrote: I install at imaging as it's soooooo much easier, I will be doing it via self service with the resource pack which worked in testing,

Criss-

How are you accomplishing this? We struggled with consistency. We spent more time uninstalling and reinstalling by hand than it was worth.
Currently we image, then using a policy at STARTUP we have had success every time.

Dan

On 15 Sep 2009, at 18:03, "Thomas Larkin" <tlarki at kckps.org> wrote: So..... CS4 is hard to install, CS3 was a cinch. What exactly changed? I am using the pre and post configs from the resource kit and the policy is triggered at start up... Before that it was just start up trigger. If I copy the image file manually and manually install it, all is kosher - no problems. However, through Casper I get mixed results. So I am trying the resource kit. It launches and runs but it has been sitting there for a good 45 minutes now and not one completed. I am using CS4 Design Premium. How are you all deploying it, and are you using the resource kit stuff? Thanks Tom
Casper mailing list Casper at list.jamfsoftware.com http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/casper
Casper mailing list Casper at list.jamfsoftware.com http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/casper

Bukira
Contributor

As per cs3 , I just add them to the config and they install via the first run. As easy as that,

What issues u getting ?

dderusha
Contributor
On Sep 15, 2009, at 12:50 PM, Criss Myers wrote: As per cs3 , I just add them to the config and they install via the first run. As easy as that, What issues u getting ?

It would install, CS3 would open ok the first couple of times. A day later or so, CS3 would error requiring a reinstallation.
Manual Uninstall, Reinstall and re-running the updates takes so much time....

Bukira
Contributor

Are we talking about cs3 or cs4?

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

CS4

At first I just dumped the DMG of DPCS4 into Casper Admin and made an Adobe Installer. Created a start up and manual trigger policy. They work but error out, and sometimes they don't finish the install. Like it will do everything but InDesign and Flash will not finish loading.

I think used the materials on the resource kit to do the pre and post installs and when I reboot to trigger the policy I get the JAMF splash screen but it never installs, it just hangs there.

CS3 did not have these problems, but I was using Casper 6 with CS3

Thanks

Tom

Bukira
Contributor

Aye but u used the downloaded dmg's from adobe right? At the time u spoke about that I did say I felt they were unreliable, try making ur own dmg's from the install cd and see how that works

Criss

Not applicable

After trying many ways with no success I reverted to our previous CS3
deployment.

? Installed the whole kit & caboodle of Master Collection
? Ran Composer 7.0 using New & Modified Snapshot
? Went through the Osnapped' directory and removed all of the Applications
the belong to CS4MC.
? Saved that as a .dmg and called it cs4repack-Core.dmg
? Then I manually added each Adobe app one by one making a .dmg calling them
cs4repack-AppName.dmg

All of these were uploaded into CasperAdmin, indexed and made uninstallable

Imaging a new machine, if it belongs in an Art dept, it's imaged with the
cs4repack-Core.dmg and PS, Ill and InD (I believe in the less is more)
All the other apps are installed with Remote if requested.

Been working like a charm forever ...

And with the updates.
I downloaded each one from Adobe, added them to CasperAdmin and they deploy
at imaging time after reboot..

Any other updates to the CS4 suite are handled by adobe updater phoning
home... Which is fine for me!!!
:)

-- Pasquale Camporeale
180 Amsterdam BV
Herengracht 506
1017CB Amsterdam
Netherlands
+31 20 422 2180

Stop asking me for a new computer .. tell your boss instead.

DISCLAIMER 9/16/2009

This communication is intended only for use by casper at list.jamfsoftware.com. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you receive this communication unintentionally, please inform us immediately. Thank you. 180 has registered companies in the United States and in the Netherlands. 180 Los Angeles LLC . (180) 1424 Second Street, Suite 200 and 300, Santa Monica, California 90401, is registered with the trade register in the US in Delaware under file number 4260284 and the corporation's FEIN is 20-5982098. 180 Amsterdam BV (180) Herengracht 506, 1017 CB, Amsterdam is registered with the trade register in the Netherlands under number 34253037 and VAT number NL8161.54.673.B.01. The content of this communications is not legally binding unless confirmed by letter or telefax. Please note that 180 is neither liable for the proper transmission nor for the complete transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt. Also please note that the confidentiality of email communication is not warranted. All services and other work provided by 180 are subject to our general conditions (supplier terms and conditions). The conditions are available for inspection at Herengracht 506, Amsterdam and at the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam. If you wish to receive a hard copy of these conditions, please send an e-mail with your address to info at 180amsterdam.com <mailto:info at 180amsterdam.com>

In the event you send to 180 any unsolicited ideas and/or materials (whether consisting of texts, images, sounds, software, information or otherwise) ("Materials") by e-mail or otherwise, 180 shall be entitled to use, copy and/or commercially exploit such Materials to the fullest extent, free of charge and 180 will not be bound by any confidentiality obligation in respect thereof.

Not applicable

I've done a similar configuration with CS4 and it's worked MUCH better
than just check-marking the cs4 master collection installer and pushing
that out during imaging. the Individual adobe apps are much easier. I
did this because I was getting error messages when launching Acrobat and
Dreamweaver was asking for some xml file to be renamed or replaced. This
way, it actually works.

-
LAUREN NICHOLAS
User Support Analyst - Hurd (South) Campus

Center for Information Technology - CIT

Moravian College
ph. 610 861 1633
lpnicholas at moravian.edu

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

So you are using composer to do a CS4 snapshot and then deploy?

I don't get why this doesn't work and CS3 worked with out a problem. I
needed to deploy this stuff 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Tom

Not applicable

not that it is much help, but I was able to deploy CS4 Master Collection using the instructions on JAMF KB and Resource Kit without much issue. I use Self Service, Imaging and Casper Remote.....I don't know what I might have done right because I can't get CS4 Design Premium to work the same way. but CS3 Design Premium works. I'll be working with the downloaded images when I get to solving the CS4 DP install.

Nathaniel Lindley

++++++++++
Information Technology
Saint Paul Public Schools
Saint Paul, Minnesota
nathaniel.lindley at spps.org
phone: 651-248-6861

Bukira
Contributor

Yes I cant offer much help either as mine works fine as per the casper
instructions, ive used my test servers and my live servers with 7.0.
7.0.1 and 7.1 and its always worked fine, ive had issue with the lock
screen but thats fixed now.

As i said before i install via autorun while imaging but i did test via
self service and worked fine, updates work fine as well

Acrobat Pro is a pain but then it always was.

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

Not applicable

We have started to test Casper this week and ran into an issue with installing the Adobe CS4 Master Collection, the machine imaged fine and on reboot there was a splash screen saying the Adobe software was installing, but after a couple of minutes the screen went back to a log-in window, and once logged in we found that the Adobe software had not installed. This was using the downloaded DMG from Adobe themselves, so we recreated a DMG using the method described by JAMF (using 4 DVDs) but this also resulted in the same issue as above. I decided to take a look at the logs (I should of done this first) and found that there had been an issue with the language setting, which was en_US by default, I changed it to en_GB and the next image worked perfectly, all Adobe apps were tested and are working fine. A strange one.

Regards,

Alun

Bukira
Contributor

Yeah i had that way back, you must check the language and serial numbers, other than that ive never had a problem, its way better than cs3

Criss

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054