Advise or opinions? > JSS 7.01 & Mac Mini

Not applicable

Howdy all!

I'm running JSS on a Mac Mini attached to a FW400 2TB LaCie RAID 0 and runs
nicely. 10.5.8 Server with all the latest and greatest updates.
It is a Core 2 Duo and I have been reading the misconceptions of Snow
Leopard's 64 bit going around on the web.

Since my Mac Mini is not a entire 64 bit capable machine. Not sure if I
should shell out to upgrade for the OS Server X 10.6 since the machine
itself will benefit nothing.

I feel compelled to leave it 10.5.8 but have not applied the 7.1 Jamf
upgrade yet.

Any thoughts?
Since Jamf has certified 7.1 to be Snow Leopard compatible... How will deal
with 10.5.8 Server?
Will I miss out on anything in 7.1?
Is it worth a new 10.6 Unlimited client seat?

Just asking for thoughts! :)

Good weekend everyone!!!!

BTW: Anyone have an iTunes 9 release party yet? :P

-- Pasquale Camporeale
180 Amsterdam BV
Herengracht 506
1017CB Amsterdam
Netherlands
+31 20 422 2180

Stop asking me for a new computer .. tell your boss instead.

DISCLAIMER 9/11/2009

This communication is intended only for use by casper at list.jamfsoftware.com. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you receive this communication unintentionally, please inform us immediately. Thank you. 180 has registered companies in the United States and in the Netherlands. 180 Los Angeles LLC . (180) 1424 Second Street, Suite 200 and 300, Santa Monica, California 90401, is registered with the trade register in the US in Delaware under file number 4260284 and the corporation's FEIN is 20-5982098. 180 Amsterdam BV (180) Herengracht 506, 1017 CB, Amsterdam is registered with the trade register in the Netherlands under number 34253037 and VAT number NL8161.54.673.B.01. The content of this communications is not legally binding unless confirmed by letter or telefax. Please note that 180 is neither liable for the proper transmission nor for the complete transmission of the information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt. Also please note that the confidentiality of email communication is not warranted. All services and other work provided by 180 are subject to our general conditions (supplier terms and conditions). The conditions are available for inspection at Herengracht 506, Amsterdam and at the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam. If you wish to receive a hard copy of these conditions, please send an e-mail with your address to info at 180amsterdam.com <mailto:info at 180amsterdam.com>

In the event you send to 180 any unsolicited ideas and/or materials (whether consisting of texts, images, sounds, software, information or otherwise) ("Materials") by e-mail or otherwise, 180 shall be entitled to use, copy and/or commercially exploit such Materials to the fullest extent, free of charge and 180 will not be bound by any confidentiality obligation in respect thereof.

1 REPLY 1

abenedict
New Contributor II

I am running 10.5.8 server and Casper 7.1 with no issues. It will run the
same on Leopard and Snow Leopard. You said the Mac mini is a Core 2 Duo? All Core 2 Duo processors are 64-bit. What people are so confused about is
that Apple has SL booting into a 32-bit Kernel by default even if the Mac is
capable of running 64 bit. They did this because not all developers have
re-coded their kernel extensions to be 64-bit yet. It will still run apps
as 64-bit and for the most part most people will not notice the difference. There is a tool out there already to enable the 64-bit kernel, I used it on
my Mac Pro and truly cannot tell the difference.
--
Alan Benedict
?
Macintosh Technician
The Integer Group
O: 515-247-2738
C: 515-770-8234
http://www.integer.com