All around prestage setup possible?

jonros
Contributor II

Hello everyone,
Last year (Monterey) and the year before (Big Sure) we encountered problems now and then when enrolling Mac.
Depending on what version om macOS that was installed the Macs crashed/shutdown with black screen in the end of the prestage installation. If macOS hade certain version they past through and everything was good. The others needed to be reinstalled and reenrolled, sometimes two or three times.

This year I found out what was causing the problem. It was the prestage setup, the assistent options - what to show or not to show when starting upp the Mac after installation.

The setup for last year and the year before looked as follows that:

Prestage - Big Sur - Monterey.jpg

This setup did't work very well, not better with Ventura. I experimented with the setup a bit and finally got a good one for Monterey (not all older versions) and Ventura. It looks like this:

Prestage - Monterey - Ventura.jpg

Now it's soon time for Sonoma. So I've installed the latest beta on a machine (beta 6). The prestage goes through but when you click later or not now on the screen for Transfer Information the screen goes black again. :(

Anyone got a solution or idea how to get this to work better? Or is it same problem for all of us each year when a new version of macOS is released?

So you know, where're on Jamf Cloud with Jamf Pro 10.49.0.

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jonros Public discussion of macOS Sonoma betas is still subject to NDA, so you might want to use a private channel like #appleseed-private on MacAdmins Slack (access info can be found in the #appleseed channel). I will say however that I've been using a PreStage with everything but Location Service disabled since macOS Big Sur and haven't had to tweak it since then.

jonros
Contributor II

Thanks for the information @sdagley, I understand how you think when it comes to Sonoma. But in our case we had the problem with Big Sur and Monterey as well so in our case it's interesting to lift it anyway. I'll try your setup with Ventura to se if it works without just the Location Service.

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Un-checking "Location Services" also resolved the problem for me. Make sure you are not creating a local admin account in User-Initiated Enrollment settings in addition to your individual PreStage configurations.

jonros
Contributor II

So, now the final of Sonoma is released. As shown in the second image above all works with Monterey and Ventura. Now when we try to enroll with Sonoma the screen goes black after cling on Not yet at the screen for Transfer information. We tried to uncheck all and checked Automatically advance through..., it then skips the part where you set up an account like in the thread bellow.

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/enrollment-with-macos-14-x-sonoma-skips-creating-local-user/t...