App Installers - Distribution method missing

Musicmaker
Contributor

Hi,
The title almost points out the complete issue... 
When adding an App through "Mac Apps > Jamf App Catalog >"  I don't get the option "Distribution Method". Also I don't have the tab 'Self Service'. 
The only tabs I see are "Configuration settings" and "User notifications":
Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 12.06.41.png

So I am not able to offer App installers through Self Service.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

that option comes with JAMF 10.47 while will deploy next Friday if your cloud based.. otherwise you can update on prem now. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

that option comes with JAMF 10.47 while will deploy next Friday if your cloud based.. otherwise you can update on prem now. 

Thank you. I was reading and watching the article and video on this page: https://www.jamf.com/blog/app-installers-deploy-to-Self-Service/

Couldn't find any hint there that it becomes available with 10.47. 
Our Jamf Pro is cloud-based so I'll just wait 😊

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

see here https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/jamf-pro-10-47-now-available/td-p/293101

10.47 is 'live' as you can upgrade on prem.. but it not live for cloud.. yet.. 

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

You can request an early upgrade to 10.47 if you are anxious. Go in to Jamf Account, select your server, select a time frame to upgrade.

Or, email success@jamf.com

Musicmaker
Contributor

Thanks for the replies.
Last weekend the upgrade to 10.47 has been done on our Jamf cloud instance.
Now testing with these Self Service App installers. I hope these installers will also update existing installations which were installed by admin users outside Self Service.

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Musicmaker an App Installers deployment that is published to Self Service will not automatically patch existing installs. That specific App Installers deployment will keep any specific installations that it has performed patched automatically.

You can configure one App Installer deployment that publishes the title to Self Service and have another App installer deployment for the same title that uses a Smart Group criteria of “has app <app name>”. It will not matter if the end user has installed it using the Self Service option or that they have sourced the app themselves, on their next recon their machine will appear in the Smart Group (has app) and then the subsequent patching for the title will be handled by that App Installers deployment.

The important thing to note in this workflow is that a machine can only receive updates from one deployment and an 'install automatically' deployment has a higher priority than one that is published to Self Service. Once a machine appears in the Smart Group 'has app installed' it will show as unqualified in the Self Service deployment and it will disappear as an installation option from Self Service for those machines. Once they delete the app from their machine and a recon is performed, they will drop out of the 'has app' Smart Group and will again be eligible for the Self Service deployment.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

so we have to duplicate each app installer? one for Self Service and one to keep it updated? if a user installed application 'foo' why would they not want it to be updated automatically ? 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

with the new app installers and their associated config profiles, how can I see what this config profiles does? Previously they deployed per App and I could test and see the settings. Where are they now? 

Hey @jamf-42 , currently they behave the same and you can test them the same way. But with the recent update announced in this article most of the apps in Jamf App Catalog don't need a separate config profile. Currently it is only sent for 3 apps (Chrome, Slack, Zoom) and you can see them marked with True in the last column in the table at the bottom of https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/technical-articles/page/Configuring_End_User_Notifications_for_App_Ins...