Auto update Google Chrome script?

appleconvert
New Contributor III

I have heard that a few of you have created a script to enable autoupdate on Google Chrome so not to have to repackage and deploy it constantly. Would you be able to kindly share it with us here?
Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

Aaron
Contributor II

I might be missing something - but isn't autoupdate enabled by default in Chrome? Downloads automatically in the background and updates once the browser is re-launched?

Whybrow
New Contributor

By default, Google Chrome is not set to auto-update for all users.

The chrome-enable-autoupdates.py script from hjuutilainen does the job nicely:
https://github.com/hjuutilainen/adminscripts/blob/master/chrome-enable-autoupdates.py

dlugo
New Contributor

"The chrome-enable-autoupdates.py script from hjuutilainen does the job nicely:
https://github.com/hjuutilainen/adminscripts/blob/master/chrome-enable-autoupdates.py"

That script didn't work for me. Tried copying and pasting it, then compiling it in the apple script program and got a ton of errors, it won't run and it won't save. Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Because it's not an AppleScript. Get yourself a copy of TextWrangler from the App Store and copy/paste the code into a new TextWrangler document, save it with a .py extension.

systems_support
New Contributor

I'm running this on a 10.10.1 machine and getting "Error: Keystone install failed." Any ideas?

tep
Contributor II

Old topic, but I'm seeing a lot of the Keystone errors as well.

Disregard. There is an updated version of the script that works.

rcastorani
New Contributor II

I just tried running the updated version of the script and received the following error:

Running script chrome-enable-autoupdates.py... Script exit code: 0 Script result: 2015-10-14 17:28:28.441 ksinstall[36891/0xa0fea1a8] [lvl=3] +[KSKeystoneTicketRepair updateKeystoneTicketInTicketStore:version:bundlePath:error:] KSKeystoneTicketRepair found incorrect Keystone existence checker: Trusted tester support is deprecated. Keystone installed Registered Chrome with Keystone

I can't even figure out where it's failing other than the ksinstall command. The script says it fails but it looks like it is actually successful.

luke_jaeger
Contributor

The Python script used to work great for me, but when I tried it today it hung.
After forcing the script to cancel, I get this output:

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/chrome.py", line 180, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/tmp/chrome.py", line 161, in main
    if keystoneInstall():
  File "/tmp/chrome.py", line 101, in keystoneInstall
    retcode = subprocess.call([installScript, '--install', keystonePayload, '--force'])
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 522, in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1384, in wait
    pid, sts = _eintr_retry_call(os.waitpid, self.pid, 0)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 476, in _eintr_retry_call
    return func(*args)
KeyboardInterrupt

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Jeff-JAMF
New Contributor