Casper Admin 9.91 - Unable to mount MDP

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

Has anyone seen a regression with Casper Admin 9.90 and 9.91 where it will no longer mount the master distribution point if there are special characters in the passwords used to mount the shares?

Here's what I saw:

Updated some packages while still running 9.82. Everything was working fine.
Shutdown Casper Server/Tomcat.
Patched Java to JDK 8 Update 77
Patched JSS to 9.91
Logged in to Casper and everything was tested and working.
Updated Casper Suite to 9.91 on Packaging system.
Tried to open Casper Admin, error message about unable to mount MDP.
Rebooted server(s). Still no success with Casper Admin.

Then tried the following things:

Mounted the share via Finder using current username password: success.
Deleted and re-added distribution points in JSS: failure.
Switched from SMB to AFP: failure.
Switched MDP to different server: failure.
Restarted server, restarted files sharing: failure.
Changed password and removed special characters: success.

Issue occurred on servers running OS X Server 10.10.5 and 10.11.4 with latest versions of OS X Server installed on those systems. Packaging systems are running OS X 10.11.4.

Just wondering if this needs to be reported as a bug or not.

Thanks for your replies.

9 REPLIES 9

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Update:

I can't get Casper Admin to mount any of my SMB shares, regardless of password. AFP shares are working now with an updated password on the casper accounts, though now I'm not sure if I introduced a variable into the troubleshooting process that I shouldn't have - although I'm 99% sure I was testing AFP with the old passwords on the casper accounts and it wasn't working. Very weird. Going to temporarily leave everything on AFP for now as a workaround. Again, any replies or suggestions are welcome!

The SMB shares mount fine in the finder, using both SMB:// and CIFS:// in the URLs.

~Ted

rqomsiya
Contributor III

I had the same issue. I resolved it by just using the simple domain. For example instead of domain.company.com I just used "domain name. Give that a try. It worked for me.

Jakov
New Contributor III

We also have this issue.
On our testserver I changed the full-domain name to only the first part and my SMB-share works fine again.

On our Production-server I created a second (AFP) distribution-share and made that the default share (when 9.9 came out). Now I try to change the share back to our SMB but I cannot change the shares. the changes appear in the jss webinterface, but as soon as I try to edit a share or create a new share, the screen is blank.

cgalik
Contributor

We, too, had this issue. Didn't notice it until I had moved up to 9.91, but I imagine it was present in 9.90 as well. Changing to the simple domain name did the trick.

driggs
New Contributor

Changing to our Mac based AFP file server as MDP rather than than our Windows 2008 R2 SMB server has worked around the problem for us.

UPDATE: Whilst the switch to the AFP share works around the issue no replication is possible. SMB shares, even those hosted on a Mac Server, simply refuse to mount.

I have since taken the advice of others here and I am now specifying the domain short name rather than the FQDN for the File Share Distribution Points and that works perfectly.

Jakov
New Contributor III

The blank screen was because of a server-volume that was full. After we freed space on the volume, we were able to edit the share and change the Domain to the simple version. Now the share works fine again.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

This post helped us. (@keaton rocks!)

jconte
Contributor II

make sure your casper share names dont have spaces or hyphens, I removed mine and it started working.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III