Changing MDM Config profiles how does it work?

BCPeteo
Contributor II

When you change a config profile in Jamf and tell it to distribute to all what is the process that happens on the MDM side? Does it send a command to remove the original profile and then download and install the changed profile? or does it download the changed profile first, remove the original profile and install the changed profile?

I am asking because the MDM profile I am changing effects the network settings (VPN) and most likely the network connection will be disrupted. If the changed profile is not first downloaded before the original is removed then I cant see how it will get the changed profile.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

if you are updating a config profile and distributing to all ( post testing on a subset ) then it will send the revised config profile to the device, including what-ever is revised within it. Think of it as an overwrite and reload.

If you're sending a config profile that interrupts the active network connection, then it should deploy, caveats apply regarding re-reconnect and reporting back to JAMF. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

if you are updating a config profile and distributing to all ( post testing on a subset ) then it will send the revised config profile to the device, including what-ever is revised within it. Think of it as an overwrite and reload.

If you're sending a config profile that interrupts the active network connection, then it should deploy, caveats apply regarding re-reconnect and reporting back to JAMF.