Client computer name

jamfmdm
New Contributor

ffbd08e4b93f4c47b441c750dc7e7ab1
We make a policies that will change client computer name to sync what computer name on our jss. but for some reason its not syncing when we tried to Sudo jamf recon or sudo jamf manage the computer, the computer name from client computer will be sync on our jss record. and the computer name on the client computer is grayed out so we can't change it manually.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You should need to use sudo at all. The JAMF policies will run automatically on enrolled clients depending on the trigger you specify in the policy options.

If you do want to trigger it on a client you use sudo jamf policy, which will trigger any policies scoped to the computer on the recurring checkin trigger.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Have you made a policy to apply the change? It's a maintenance checkbox in the policy options.

Brad_G
Contributor II

I'm confused, are you using a policy to correct the name or running a command of "sudo jamf recon"?

If your running recon, you're telling the machine to update the record in the JSS with what is currently on the computer. So in this instance the computer is the authoritative source.

If you update the computer name in the JSS and then run Casper Remote and under the Advanced tab choose the "Reset Computer Names" option that will update the client. Or if you're using a policy you can choose the "Reset Computer Names" in the Maintenance category. Keep in mind that the policy needs to run before an inventory of the client, because it will update the name field again if you don't. <-(or at least I believe that's the order, as I've struggled with correct names in the past)

jamfmdm
New Contributor

Yes we are using a policy. this the policy that we made.

8927a2d727c64b9c8e75160c4433df57
da55ad11689f4680afb3dc79d8c05e0b

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I don't think you can have update inventory in the same policy as that updates the JSS computer name before getting to the rename computer task.

Try it with update inventory unticked.

jamfmdm
New Contributor

when should the policy trigger?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Any trigger should be fine. I would probably use either recurring checkin or startup in this case.

jamfmdm
New Contributor

we are not using sudo for changing name. i thought that when i use sudo recon it will update the name on our client computer.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You should need to use sudo at all. The JAMF policies will run automatically on enrolled clients depending on the trigger you specify in the policy options.

If you do want to trigger it on a client you use sudo jamf policy, which will trigger any policies scoped to the computer on the recurring checkin trigger.

Brad_G
Contributor II

I agree with @davidacland that the inventory is probably happening before the computer name change. Thus wiping it out.

yadin
Contributor

Having this same issue, not seeing a solution here. Script runs before all other actions that sets name to match DNS. That works. Then recon runs. That claims to work, but does not. The name of the computer in JAMF is always wrong and never matches the name on the computer. This is making parts of deployment impossible without manual intervention on both the machine and the console, which also means all the directory binding actions in JAMF are useless. Hard pressed to understand these issues and lacking features, and can't find a functional work around.