Composer Packaging Compressor Error: Command failed with error code (1): '/usr/bin/hdiutil'

nethers
Contributor

Has anyone experienced this and found a remedy? Final Cut Packaged fine. I then started a new package install of Compressor and when building as a DMG the following error appears at the stage you normally receive the successful beep noise (and package output to save location). Error: Command failed with error code (1): '/usr/bin/hdiutil'

46 REPLIES 46

pvillave
New Contributor II

I've run into this issue when trying to make a '.dmg' of any Adobe suite products. I mean, the whole thing at once...not just an individual app from within the suite. I've made .dmg packages for CS6, Creative Cloud 2013, Creative Cloud 2014, & now, Creative Cloud 2015. These '.dmg's have been in the 11 - 14 GB range....and Composer fails every time...at the very end....with the exact same error code 1 from hdutil.

So, the 'hdutil error code 1' has been a part of Composer since I started working with JAMF software (8.6 series) and this has never been fixed to date and I'm currently on version 9.65 getting ready to go to 9.73. I had called for assistance in the past on this and the JAMF techs told me 'We have no way of testing this'...I'm thinking ...um...'30-day trial' ??? You can get the whole thing and see just how many apps there are and how big the suite is. On top of that...they want to schedule my time on the phone to work on my machines to do their tech support work. What? I'm wearing 3 hats at my job and don't have time to do more of 'other peoples work'....Especially JAMF's tech support work. Crazy.

The solution I've found is slightly creative but straight forward and works like a charm 'every' time. ....unlike this crazy JAMF Composer stuff....and the Non support on this front by JAMF techs or development.

Solution = Gui version of Apple's Disk Utility. That little item under the 'File' menu that says 'Disk Image from Folder'... Yeah, it's nice AND it works... You have to make an adjustment of directory/folder names...but it goes like this:

1) Open JAMF Composer and go through the initial process of 'New' then 'New & Modified Snapshot'...give it the Name you want(you'll need this info later)...let's call it--> 'YourPackageName' ...Let the Snapshot finish.

2) Go through the process of installing the Adobe suite of whatever you got. We have an Enterprise account here at the University and we use the 'Creative Cloud Packager' to make 'licensed' installers. Be sure to make any and all adjustments you need plus testing...including reboots if you have to. I found I had to hack this 'Creative Cloud App' install dialog that would come up every time you opened Adobe InCopy CC 2015. Once I dealt with that I was golden as far as 'user' dialogs are concerned.

3) In Composer...click the button 'Create Package Source'. Let it do it's thing...once that finishes go ahead and check the directories it has included and make sure you only have the things you want/need. From here...you're done with Composer...so go ahead and quit. If you try to 'Build as DMG' at this point...enter the 'hdutil error code 1'.

4) Navigate to the Composer created directories for the package: /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Composer/Sources/'YourPackageName'/ROOT/'YourPackageDirectoryListHere'
...what I do is to trade/swap folder names of ROOT & 'YourPackageName' ...looks like this:
...Composer/Sources/ROOT/'YourPackageName'/'YourPackageDirectoryListHere' ....with me?

5) Use the GUI version of Apple's Disk Utility: File-->New-->Disk Image from Folder ....in the dialog navigate to the 'YourPackageName' folder....click the 'Image' button. Let it finish. Voila. Drop that thing into JAMF Casper Admin and on up to your server. From here it's up to you if you want to 'Index' it. Takes quite a while to do that...but is handy if you need to 'uninstall' it later.

That's it. I've included a screen shot of my work. Yeah, it took '11' tries to get it right with CC2015...& only '5' tries with CC2014. It's been a real journey with Adobe & JAMF on this for sure!

Enjoy, ~Patrick

1538501fd2384adcb3c778d0b985c65d

philipwoods
New Contributor III

I've just had this same error today from Composer 10.0.0 running on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1.

The package was a simple one. Single file in a DMG which is called 'iPhone10,4_11.1.2_15B202_Restore.ipsw'

It turned out that the issue was the comma (,) in the file that I was dragging in to the sources in composer, which is then the name that composer tries to give the DMG. Removed the comma and everything works fine.

cbd4s
Contributor II

It's amazing to realise the value of the history. It's 2019 and suddenly I'm seeing this exact problem.

Thanks to everyone's contribution, it was relatively easy to figure out my cause was from the Microsoft Defender real-time protection scan. After disabling it temporarily, Composer was able to create the dmg just fine.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Same here on Catalina (10.15.1) using Composer 10.16.1. Sophos Antivirus was the problem

allanp81
Valued Contributor

Yep, I'm also suddenly seeing this on Trend AV as well for some reason.

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Hello.

Same issue with McAfee and Composer 10.26

allanp81
Valued Contributor

I've had to just disable real time scanning on any device with Trend as it often stops composer from working.