Computers Disappeared From Inventory

ntpro13
New Contributor

All of a sudden when I log in to my jamf pro cloud portal with various admin accounts I only see the first two computers that were managed by jamf and the other 70-some odd computers are no longer showing up ... what could possibly be causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ntpro13
New Contributor

So I have to start off my profusely apologizing as I didn't slow down, take a breath, and notice my DEV instance URL had somehow gotten populated in the browser and not prod. My bad! And thank you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jcaleshire
New Contributor III

Just to make sure that those machines are really, really gone, let's check in a few places:

When you click the Jamf logo in the top left, total inventory counts should be displayed on the left.

Under Computers > Search Inventory, if you execute a search with nothing in the search bar, you should get your entire inventory.

Using an API call:

#!/bin/bash

API_USER=""
API_PASS=""
JSS_URL=""

CREDENTIALS=$(printf "${API_USER}:${API_PASS}" | iconv -t ISO-8859-1 | base64 -i -)

curl -X GET -s -H "Authorization: Basic $CREDENTIALS" "${JSS_URL}/JSSResource/computers" -H "accept: application/xml"​

exit 0​

This API call should spit out your entire device inventory, but just the ID and name. Fill in your username, password, and JSS URL, and it should respond with an XML list of your entire inventory.

If none of these are reporting any inventory past the 2 you mentioned, you might have an issue with sites. Next to your profile picture in the top bar, there's a site selection dropdown. Make sure its set to Full Jamf Pro, or whichever site has your entire inventory. If that dropdown doesn't exist, sites are not enabled and that's not your issue.

The last thing I would look at is: do the other Macs even check in anymore? If the Macs that are no longer listed are still able to run Jamf recon and Jamf checkJSSConnection without issues, then their inventory records are still in the JSS somewhere, but I'm not sure where to look for them at that point. 

If none of these steps are reporting the expected inventory, it's looking more and more like those records are missing from the SQL db entirely. That's probably when forum support ends and a ticket should be opened with Jamf Support.

That's everything that I can think of, best of luck finding those records!

ntpro13
New Contributor

So I have to start off my profusely apologizing as I didn't slow down, take a breath, and notice my DEV instance URL had somehow gotten populated in the browser and not prod. My bad! And thank you.

jcaleshire
New Contributor III

Hah! We've all been there at one point (and we'll all be there again at some point too).

Glad it was an easy fix!