Config Profiles - How to redeploy after reimaging

etippett
Contributor II

Being admittedly a bit new to working with configuration profiles, one glaring issue has recently come up for me for which I'm not sure of a solution. It seems that if a profile was previously installed on the computer, Casper does not redeploy it after the computer has been reimaged and re-enrolled. For policies I take care of this by including a `jamf flushPolicyHistory` as part of my reimaging workflow. How do I do something similar for config profiles? The only solution I've found so far, which isn't workable, is to remove the device from the scope and then add it back in.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

frozenarse
Contributor II

I believe that the flushPolicyHistory is already part of the imaging process so you might not need to do that.

I scope configuration policies to smartgroups and they have been applying properly to machines after being reimaged.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

FWIW, I too scope mine via Smart Groups & they also seem to work for me.

etippett
Contributor II

@frozenarse
I'm imaging with DeployStudio, so I have to add it manually. Thanks, though!

My profiles are scoped to smart groups. I'm having intermittent success and am actually noticing now that it looks like the client I've been reimaging over and over throughout the day (testing) is having some trouble enrolling with the Casper MDM server. I've got no enrollment profile installed, no matter whether I use my pre-built QuickAdd, do user-initiated enrollment, or use Recon. So obviously I've got some more digging to do with this. I'm testing a brand new, never previously enrolled client now to see if it can enroll.

Eric

etippett
Contributor II

OK, looks like it was a false alarm. Not sure what happened yesterday, but three tested clients have enrolled just fine this morning and the config profiles are re-deploying to imaged computers.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the JSS determines when to reinstall a config profile? I'm pretty sure that if they are manually removed from a client, they do not get reinstalled, so that would lead me to believe that it's not verifying whether the profiles scoped to a computer are installed or not. Therefore something must be getting reset when the client is reimaged/reenrolled that triggers the profiles to push again.

Thanks!

yadin
Contributor

4 years later and still a problem.... profiles that are removed on the client aren't re-deployed by the server. No options for managing this. No ability to re-push a profile to one or more systems. Seems to have forgotten the Management part of MDM....