Configuration Policies - Unable to see machines

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

Hi,
I've not set any configuration policies as I've never been able to assign them to machines, let alone computer groups. Does anyone know why I can only see the first dozen or so machines in the Computers list when scoping a profile? I manage roughly 300 machines but can only apply a policy to these visible machines.

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I believe the issue might be that some of your Macs aren't MDM manageable. Only machines that have received the specific certificate and MDM profile will show up in scope for Configuration Profiles. In other words, the Macs must be MDM manageable in your JSS before you can deploy anything to them over MDM, at least when talking about using APNs.

If you open up a computer record for any Mac that doesn't show up in the Scope section, take a look under the General tab for "MDM Capability" If that isn't "Yes", then that's why they aren't showing up.

jimmy-swings
Contributor II

I've checked a random sample and have confirmed that this field marked as "No". I've done a quick search here and it looks like it's a common issue with no clear cause.

Is it simply a matter of running the following command on each enrolled machine? or something more complex?

#!/bin/sh
jamf manage

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@jazzyj

Try the command

sudo jamf mdm

devlinford
New Contributor III

Hey there...

I have a similar issue to the OP.

@Aziz

I have force enabled MDM with 'sudo jamf mdm' but the computer record still shows MDM compatibility = No.

I have also 'sudo jamf recon' in hopes to update the computer record in JSS.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dev

devlinford
New Contributor III

@jazzyj

Can you confirm that the system(s) you are trying to set MDM up on have only a 12 character serial?

I couldn't set the MDM to YES because I was trying to configure a VM (VM's default with a larger serial number, that can be resolved by checking out this post):

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=19585

Thought I would send as it may help you or someone else out...

Thanks,

Dev