Create macOS VM in Parallels running an older macOS?

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I use macOS VMs a lot for testing. For general policy testing, macOS VMs running in the Apple Silicon version of Parallels work great. One huge limitation of Parallels on Apple Silicon is that there doesn't appear to be a way of creating a macOS VM that is running an earlier version of macOS. On the Intel version of Parallels, I can download the installer app for the version of macOS I want such as 13.3.1 using either the Download Full Installer app or the "softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version" command, and then use Parallels to select that older macOS installer for my VM. The Apple Silicon version does not appear to allow this. Does anyone have process for this? I have kept older macOS VMs that I made a few months ago saved so I can use them for testing software update policies and workflows, but this is getting annoying. There are many limitations in Parallels for Apple Silicon that don't seem to be getting fixed any time soon. I have tried VMware Fusion on Apple Silicon, but I found it more annoying than Parallels.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

VMs on macOS 13/  ARM are limited, this will improve with macOS 14..  

this might help https://eclecticlight.co/virtualisation-on-apple-silicon/  

Also, to try is UTM and VirtualBuddy

But the constraint here is they all use whats allowed by macOS to provide VM.. so they are much the same.. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

VMs on macOS 13/  ARM are limited, this will improve with macOS 14..  

this might help https://eclecticlight.co/virtualisation-on-apple-silicon/  

Also, to try is UTM and VirtualBuddy

But the constraint here is they all use whats allowed by macOS to provide VM.. so they are much the same.. 

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

UTM works pretty well. What a shame there are so many limitations with macOS Ventura and VMs. It means I need to keep my Intel MacBook Pro around a while longer. It has been a great computer. It's a personal computer so I was hoping to be able to do what I need to do on my work Mac.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

been running ESXi on i7 quad core Mac mini Server (2012) !!  providing multiple macOS VMs for years..  now moved to Fusion as ESXi can't see the storage, but still have the full ABM / MDM test workflow.. 

ARM VMs are limited.. by what Apple allows..  it going to be.. interesting...  if we get snapshots and can assign serial number.. all is good.. if not.. it will be a bit like the late 90s / 2000s ( no Configurator reset does not cut it)