Deploy Bootcamp at imaging

jyoung
New Contributor

Does anyone have any best practices for deploying a Windows 7 Ent Bootcamp image? I have our OS X 10.7 images deploying beautifully. I was hoping to wrap up our Bootcamp image to go out over the network at the same time. It would save me a ton of time instead of going from machine to machine to setup Bootcamp. We have been using Winclone 3.0 to capture our Bootcamp images.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jeff

6 REPLIES 6

powellbc
Contributor II

It's fairly straightforward. After adding your Windows 7 image to Casper Admin/JSS, in the Additional Partitions area of the configuration add a second configuration and select NTFS for the file format and the image you added in the Package field.

The only gotcha I found was the size of the partition. I have a 20 GB image and needed at least an 80GB partition for it to work. Otherwise you will get errors saying insufficient space in the logs.

Good luck.

bwcollins
New Contributor III

I have done all of this and when the imaging process is completed in casper and I try to open up the bootcamp image I only get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

bwcollins
New Contributor III

I have done all of this and when the imaging process is completed in casper and I try to open up the bootcamp image I only get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Is your boot camp partition the last patition? If not the last it won't work. Also did you make your windows image self extracting. ?

rweaver
New Contributor

We actually found a workaround based on a JAMFNation forum post (which I can't actually find now...):

1. Image the computer
  2. Open <image>.winclone and copy all but the image itself to somewhere local on the OSX partition.
  3. After imaging, run the following commands (also done as a post-install script). make sure to replace <pathto> with the right path for your system:

/<pathto>/ntfscp -f /dev/disk0s3 /<pathto>/BCD /Boot/BCD
/<pathto>/gptrefresh -f -w -m /<pathto>/boot.mbr -a 3 -i 0x07 -u -s /dev/disk0s3 /dev/disk0

bwcollins
New Contributor III

It's the last partition on the drive, and the last thing that is being preformed at imaging.