Enable Right Click

dtmille2
Contributor III

Our script we used to use to enable right click on our lab Macs is not working anymore. I've tried various solutions, but so far none are working.

Anyone have a simple way to configure right click on a wired Apple mouse that I could put into a policy or config profile?

Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13

rcram
New Contributor

I use a configuration profile as I wasn't able to get things to stick with scripts. The profile has three custom payloads as follows:

Domain com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse with payload {ButtonDominance=1, Button1=1, Button2=2}

Domain com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse with payload {MouseButtonMode=TwoButton}

Domain com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad with payload {TrackpadRightClick=true}

I tossed this in Self Service for install and this hits all the normal external input devices. The first payload specifically hits the wired mouse.

dtmille2
Contributor III

I tried configuring one of our Macs the way I wanted it and then created a custom configuration file using the com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse.plist, but while the profile is deploying to the machines, right click is not being enabled. Looks like a phone call to Jamf.

1425bcb30b714a7081902f4fa263d81b

osnala
New Contributor II

@dtmille2 Were you able to get the plist working for right click?

dtmille2
Contributor III

Sorry for the extreme delay in my response. I am not getting notifications of discussion forum replies.

I did call Jamf, and they told me that there was no known way of enabling right click on a Mac through management, and must be done manually.

If anyone knows otherwise, please feel free chime in.

talkingmoose

@dtmille2, mouse behavior is a very personal choice for users. Rather than use a configuration profile, which overrides a user's choice, I suggest only setting the right-click behavior as a default, allowing the user to change it later.

I recently helped a customer with the same need. We put the following line into a policy under the Files and Processes payload > Execute Command field and set it to run Once Per User Per Computer at Login.

currentUser=$( /usr/bin/stat -f "%Su" /dev/console ) ; /usr/bin/su "$currentUser" -c ‘/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse Button2 -int 2'

This is only for the Apple wired mouse (maybe all wired mice?). For wireless Apple mice and trackpads, you'd need to use the settings mentioned earlier.

dtmille2
Contributor III

Thanks @talkingmoose . I agree, I wouldn't want to enforce this via a config profile, although for our lab computers that might make sense.

I have tried using this command and it doesn't seem to be having any effect. Have you tested on a 10.14.4 Mac?

4896e84a72254d82b92bd6f8ad3a4af9

[STEP 1 of 4]
Executing Policy Enable Right Click - Wired Mouse
[STEP 2 of 4]
[STEP 3 of 4]
Running command currentUser=$( /usr/bin/stat -f "%Su" /dev/console ) ; /usr/bin/su "$currentUser" -c ‘/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse Button2 -int 2'...
Result of command:
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
[STEP 4 of 4]

dtmille2
Contributor III

I altered the command to below and it worked. Thank you!

currentUser=$( /usr/bin/stat -f "%Su" /dev/console ) ; /usr/bin/su "$currentUser" -c "/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse Button2 -int 2"

cnaples
New Contributor

@dtmille2 I'll give this a shot next week. I've been looking for a way to do this for our labs. Thanks!

dtmille2
Contributor III

The above solution appears to no longer be working.

scerazy
New Contributor III

I see that script is nice, but if it is not working, why not copy the whole .plist file?

Seb

d428apple
New Contributor II

This is the script I use to enable right click when a user logs on for the first time.

Set Apple Mouse button 1 to Primary click and button 2 to Secondary click.

defaults write "/System/Library/User Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse" Button1 -integer 1
defaults write "/System/Library/User Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse" Button2 -integer 2
defaults write "/System/Library/User Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse" Button3 -integer 3
defaults write "/System/Library/User Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse" ButtonDominance -integer 1

scerazy
New Contributor III

Thanks, I just have it configured in UT

SGill
Contributor III

I'm also seeing that this solution can no longer set the r-click preference under 10.14.6.