Enabling Touch ID authentication for sudo on macOS Sonoma

Ojok
New Contributor II

Following a twit by Richard Trouton, I thought it would be good to implement sudo in Touch ID authentication for our developers as one of the benefits to Sonoma, since Sonoma makes the change persistent even when updates are made.

If you are interested follow the link to Richard Trouton's Wordpress site (https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2023/10/14/enabling-touch-id-authentication-for-sudo-on-macos-sono...)

However, upon implementation I needed an EA to check if the authentication had been enabled or not since I implemented two self service policies; one to enable and the other to disable.

Since the policies are ongoing, I needed smart computer groups to exclude enabled computers when the policy was enabled and only present the disable policy and vice versa.

this is the EA that I used which reports if Touch ID has been enabled or not

-------------------

#!/bin/bash

# Check if the file exists
if [ -e /etc/pam.d/sudo_local ]; then
# Check if the specific line exists and is uncommented
if grep -qE '^[^#]*auth\s+sufficient\s+pam_tid.so' /etc/pam.d/sudo_local; then
result="Yes"
else
result="No"
fi
else
result="No"
fi

echo "<result>$result</result>"

-------------------------------

The EA reports fine. However, I then realised that I also needed another EA which can be used to determine if a computer has a Touch ID sensor or not since it would be pointless providing the policy to devices without the sensor.

Here is the EA I used to determine the  Touch ID sensor.

-----------------------------

#!/bin/bash

# Check if the Touch ID sensor is present
if [[ -e "/usr/bin/bioutil" ]]; then
# Touch ID sensor is present
result="Yes"
else
# Touch ID sensor is not present
result="No"
fi

echo "<result>$result</result>"

--------------------------------------------------

So far they are both working fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If what I am reading is correct, apple changed that behavior with 14.0 and the setting should persist through OS updates.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichaelMcG
New Contributor III

Just be aware it gets removed after each macOS update and needs to be re-run / re-added

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If what I am reading is correct, apple changed that behavior with 14.0 and the setting should persist through OS updates.

MichaelMcG
New Contributor III

Well, it wasn't for me going from 14.0 to 14.1 so maybe you will have better luck

Ojok
New Contributor II

Yes this is now persistent.