Erase-Install Question regarding Full Screen Message

SMR1
Contributor III

When you use the erase-install package and I'm using it so the message is the full screen. When the full screen is used, does it stay up until the device restarts? I'm trying it in test mode, but the full screen only stays up for 30 sec and it goes back to the desktop. Could that be because I'm testing it? One of our issues is, when we have users kick it off using the --depnotify, they see the prompts and after the last one, some have been restarting it even though we've told them let it sit. Below is what I was testing.

/Library/Management/erase-install/erase-install.sh --reinstall --pkg --version=12.6.2 --min-drive-space=35 --current-user --fs --cleanup-after-use --test-run

3 REPLIES 3

williamsad
New Contributor III

It closes the full screen when the script exits. In many cases, the full screen will close and then restart a few seconds later to actually start the installation. The issue sometimes is that if the script fails then the behavior looks identical and you find users just staring at their desktop. The Jamf policy log will give you information on why it failed.

In your case, test-run is a quick process generally so that is why it seems so quick for you. I recommend testing the entire process on a test machine or Mac you are willing to erase/reinstall.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

<ignore/>

SMR1
Contributor III

Did a test on an actual device and it the full screen stayed around 30min and once it was done, there was a 3min delay. It's let time for the user to restart, so we'll be using it this way. I did ask on git if we could use our own jamfhelper and I guess the newer version will be using swiftidalogue instead of jamfhelpers and then should help the ending better.