FYI - Invalid Message - The message could not be parsed.

ftiff
Contributor

FYI

Just got this error on all my machines after editing a policy.

jamf policy →

Mon Dec 07 14:45:17 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Enforcing management framework... Mon Dec 07 14:45:18 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Enforcing scheduled tasks... Mon Dec 07 14:45:18 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Removing existing launchd task /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.task.1.plist... Mon Dec 07 14:45:18 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Adding launchd task com.jamfsoftware.task.1... Mon Dec 07 14:45:19 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Creating launch daemon... Mon Dec 07 14:45:19 My MacBook Pro jamf[909]: Creating launch agent... Mon Dec 07 14:45:19 My MacBook Pro jamf[954]: Informing the JSS about login for user schattc Mon Dec 07 14:45:21 My MacBook Pro jamf[954]: Informing the JSS about login for user schattc Mon Dec 07 14:45:21 Schatt's MacBook Pro jamf[966]: Checking for policies triggered by "recurring check-in"... Mon Dec 07 14:45:23 My MacBook Pro jamf[966]: There was an error. Invalid Message - The message could not be parsed.

How I troubleshot this:

1. Rolled by my policy to the original data → same issue
  2. Went to https://jss/changeManagementLogs.html to replay my changes

I then clicked on 'details' and noticed this:

Distribution Point ID -1

I then deducted it's because I don't have any Distribution point configured.

For the story, here's why:
- my JSS was destroyed by the ops team by mistake (it’s a sandbox, no worries)
- I setup a new one with same address and credential
- overnight, AutoPkg pushed his package on the distribution point and the JSS
- but I didn’t configure the distribution point on the JSS (hence the code "Distribution Point ID -1")
- now that I have setup the distribution point again, it works

Key takeaway is: Use https://jss/changeManagementLogs.html

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ftiff -1 is correct as per this.

It means the JSS allocates a DP, but with no DP in the JSS... Yep that'll not work.

View solution in original post

ftiff
Contributor
5 REPLIES 5

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ftiff -1 is correct as per this.

It means the JSS allocates a DP, but with no DP in the JSS... Yep that'll not work.

ftiff
Contributor

@bentoms you're the man

claven
New Contributor III

We had this error as well. Turns out the MacBook Air didn't have a Serial Number set. A quick session with AST and we're good to go.

jamesgreenMatte
New Contributor II

Ive seen this in our envrionment running 9.81. I have many distribution points but I can't undertsand why this is coming up. Also on this particular Mac, there are several cached packages that do not list on the JSS inventory. It just shows 5 cached packages. a366db1a618d473ca8589b19d0e85b83

sepiemoini
Contributor III
Contributor III

Getting the same Invalid Message - The message could not be parsed error here as well. I'm a Jamf Cloud customer with a Cloud Distribution Point (setup as master) and no File Distribution Point configured, so a bit different from @ftiff's original issue. When verifying the details at https://jss/changeManagementLogs.html, the Distribution Point ID value was set to -1. I assume this is the case due to the Cloud Distribution Point. Is anyone able to provide some insight here?