Getting "Profiles/MDM wants to make changes" Popup

devoted_lkrygsm
New Contributor III

I am repeatedly throughout the day getting the following popup from "Profiles/MDM" saying:

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 10.15.29 2.png

Profiles/MDM wants to make changes

Enter your password to allow this

With no other context or explanation. I've looked at my the jamf policy history logs and I don't see anything that would explain it and I'm not just about to give my password to a generic-looking popup like this.

I have noticed that I can trigger the popup by running sudo jamf recon very reliably, so Jamf remains my biggest suspect, but I still don't know what's causing it, or how to make it stop. As far as I know, others have not seen this.

Restarting my computer did not make it go away and spelunking through Activity Monitor has not illuminated anything, at least not to me. 

Looking to see if the community has any ideas?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If a jamf recon is reliably triggering this, look at any Extension Attributes you might have set up, to see if there's a command in one of them that might be causing it. I don't know off hand what command would cause such a pop up. But I suspect something being called during inventory is the culprit, so I would start there.

Another thought - jamf recon has a verbose mode you can call when running the command. It might show what specific thing it's doing when the pop up appears. Might help you narrow down the suspects.

jamf recon -verbose

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the delay, but I wanted to fully test this.

The popup _does_ tend to happen during the extension attribute check, but unfortunately I went through every one of our extension attributes (they're all script-based), ran each one one-at-a-time in a shell, and none of them popped the window. 

I'm not sure how else I'd test the extension attributes or recon process without disabling the extensions for everyone while I iterate through which... I really don't want to do.

Any other ideas?