How it feels using Jamf lately...

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

1000006635.jpg

We manage less than 10K Macs, and are seeing 503s weekly. It sounds like we're not the only ones either. 

9 REPLIES 9

wildfrog
Contributor II

It most definitely feels a lot less responsive since v11. Seeing lots of 'rotating circles' just doing simple stuff like displaying the list of policies or profiles. . .or displaying inventory. With v11.5 coming to beta, I was hoping the speed issues would have been ironed out by now. But no.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

As time passes, applications get far more complex. Those complexities add overhead, and overhead impacts performance. Overall, I will take the feature Set of Jamf Pro 11, over the "performance" of Jamf Pro 9. Also, apple has moved more and more things away from CLI to MDM/UEM framework, which functions far slower then CLI does and by no means is something Jamf has any control over.

@AJPinto I think you're missing the point. No one is mentioning anything about CLI tools. It's as simple as basic web GUI tasks in Jamf Pro v11.x feel significantly more sluggish and less responsive than they did in Jamf Pro v10.x. I'm not sure any changes on Apple's end really enter into it as I don't use Safari and I've noticed no such sluggishness in any other web application/process over the same time period. No, if there was overhead and complexity added that is to be blamed, I'm reasonably confident it was added by Jamf rather than Apple.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I myself have not really noticed any performance degradation of the console itself. The UI/UX overhaul with 11 sucks, but beyond being clunky to navigate it performs fine. Though, console performance is largely impacted by the size of the environment (database), and the hardware Jamf is running on. We have a fairly small environment. 

Right. We're an MSP focused on very small (<50 person) companies. Each client has their own Jamf Cloud environment. None of our Jamf Cloud environments have more than 25 devices. So I doubt device count/DB size is our issue.

lmrosbro
New Contributor III

Same here. We are also experiencing Self Service login issues. They are always intermittent. I verified our Jamf-IM settings are correct and tested LDAP connection with the Jamf interface, but I am still getting login denials in SS. One message will say either "username/password is incorrect", "cannot connect to server", or "cannot connect to a Jamf MDM server." No other services are affected. Machines are checking in, policies and Management commands are running and computers are getting enrolled correctly.  About to open ticket with Jamf for this and it will be the third time for this same issue. Not sure what is happening, but it has become quite cumbersome lately. 

Jamf_user_77
New Contributor

Also seeing a lot of spinning wheels since 11.  In addition, Mac App do not auto update as described anymore... very hit or miss.  

Jason33
Contributor III

Very similar issues in my environment, and we're relatively small (~400 devices). Since upgrading to 11, I've got more spinning wheels trying to load smart groups, spinning when trying to load the dashboard, systems check in and their Applications go to 0, then show up again after the next Recon. I dislike the behavior of Mac Apps deploying through Self Service. 

foobarfoo
Contributor

We run a huge JAMF pro instance with almost 70k devices, and it's about as slow/fast as it has ever been. However, we run ion-prem so we can control resource allocation. I'd say that we had to about double our resource allocation since the initial deployment, but it has been a gradual decline rather than a clear major version switch issue. My guess is that it's attributed to JAMF cloud and possibly AWS given the comments in this thread.