How To Kernel Extension in High Sierra

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

How To Kernel Extension in High Sierra

Couldn't find an All in One Place regarding Kernel Extension information so here we go. Creating this thread so everyone can Chip In Best Practices. - Link to a thread like this if im wrong about not having a thread like this so we arent redundant

Kernel Extension List - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IWrbE8xiau4rU2mtXYji9vSPWDqb56luh0OhD5XS0AM/edit#gid=8111306...

via gui you can do the following

I believe 10.13 & up you can locate them at /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions

You can then find the BundleID by right clicking the kernel extension you want & select show package contents, then in contents directory you can open the .plist and view

for Team ID I only know this way - https://technology.siprep.org/getting-the-team-id-of-kernel-extensions-in-macos-10-13-and-higher/

In terminal run

sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy

then once in db run following command

SELECT * FROM kext_policy;

it will produce the Team ID & associated KEXTS

What are methods / best practices you use?

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month
25 REPLIES 25

cyepiz
New Contributor II

I've used this before, but lately when I run the commands above the sqlite results come back blank, any ideas? This happens on multiple machines, whereas a couple of weeks ago it wasn't a problem..

rkelegha
New Contributor III

I was looking into this earlier in the year! JSS version 10.6 allows you to deploy a config profile for Kernel extensions. Once you create it and scope if a new Kernel Extention is needed just update already deployed one and it will update all your endpoint.

I'm using this CP for deploying KEXT for SEP 14.2 , Pulse Secure 9.0.2 and NextGen AV

hope this helps

RK

bountyman
New Contributor III

@rkelegha We are on 10.7.1 and have been trying to deploy a couple of KEXT to 10.13.6 machines. The profile gets installed but the extension is never allowed. I entered the right TEAM ID but it just doesn't do what it's supposed to. Do you have any special trick ?

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@cyepiz thats very strange, could you share some screenshots of your results, are these kexts deployed via JAMF?

if you install a kernel extension locally to a machine, does it show then?

rkelegha
New Contributor III

Please see the attached image ...

Open JSS
Click on Computers
Click on Config profiles
Click "new"
Very last config profile is Allowed Kernel extension

Leave it up to you to play around :)

rkelegha
New Contributor III

f1cc6fa115b74fda84afed0150140f97

JoshRouthier
Contributor

f5cc4781821f474e9070b7f994c089fe
@rkelegha Try adding the Bundle ID's listed in the Google Sheet to your Symantec KEXT. Attached is a screenshot of our Approved KEXT's Profile.

rkelegha
New Contributor III

Remove the bundle ID's they are not needed.. just the TEAM ID should do..

rk

nahrens
New Contributor III

You can also run this command to get the team ID of an application. I've had to use it for GlobalProtect VPN.

codesign -dv --verbose=4 /Applications/YourApp.app

kcsantos
New Contributor III

@rkelegha & @JoshRouthier -- Any reason why or why not to leave out the Bundled ID's?

rkelegha
New Contributor III
  1. There a not needed as the TEAM ID will cover all bundles for KEXT 2 . I didnt and it worked for me :)

rk

trlatimer
New Contributor II

Has anyone encountered an issue where they unchecked the "Allow users to approve kernel extensions" and now the option to "Allow" in Security & Privacy no longer appears. I have rechecked the box and pushed it back out but even after restarting I am unable to get the "Allow" to show.

The only fix I have found so far, is to touch every machine and reboot into recovery, go to terminal, and enter "spctl kext-consent disable"

Background: I was trying to make it to where Sophos didn't require the user to click "Allow" after installation. Added the team ID alone didn't fix at first, I disabled the "Allow users to approve kernel extensions" and it stopped appearing. I then ran into the issue on other machines a day or so later where the "Allow" option wouldn't appear at all for software that we didn't already have approved extensions established for.

Any assistance would be great.

szultzie
Contributor II

So has anybody seen teh Kernel extentions not working after an in place upgrade from 10.13.3 to 10.14.3?

The Config Profile says Completed before I start the upgrade.
I was also thinking maybe because 10.13.3 doesn't know about Kernel Extensions, so then how do you make the timing work?

ANy ideas?

sshort
Valued Contributor

@szultzie The kext profile was live in 10.13.4, so that makes sense that you're seeing that issue if the profile is being installed while the user is still on 10.13.3.

If you're using the Jamf-supplied PPPC profile that automatically installs after a user logs into Mojave for the first time post-upgrade, just make a smart group and scope your Kext profile to the presence of the PPPC profile. That should make sure the profile gets there quickly.

dd7345c4c22b4a5aa175b7ad0847beb1

wildfrog
Contributor II

@szultzie Profiles generally only apply their magic once. 10.13.3 didn't know anything about UAKELs so when you pushed the profile to those machines it ignored it. As such, the profile won't magically wake up when you update/upgrade to 10.13.4+. Same with PPPC in 10.14.0+

What we do is scope UAKEL whitelist profiles only to machines ≥10.13.4. PPPC profiles scoped only to ≥10.14.0. The idea is you don't want to push a profile to a machine that doesn't know what to do with it.

achristoforatos
Contributor II

When trying to send kernel extension payload I get this as the error, any suggestions?

"The profile's payload did not validate properly."

Currently running 10.14.3

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@achristoforatos "The profile's payload did not validate properly."

have you manually verified the bundle id & team id for the specific application of the kernel extension ?

achristoforatos
Contributor II

@Hugonaut Thanks for the response. Turns out I had a lower case J. That was the issue. Case sensitive. Thanks for the help.

Kyuubi
Contributor

Does the sucessful use of this profile done thru Jamf's built in Kernel Extension whitelist mean that the pop up does not show? Or does it mean that the pop up does show but that the user can allow without unlocking the Security tab in System Preferences? I'm testing this with McAfee on 10.13.6 using only the TeamIdentifier GT8P3H7SPW. The pop up still shows when in install McAfee 10.6.2 on a system but users can hit allow. Is this right? Should the pop show or not show at all?

khurram
Contributor III

Hi @Hugonaut

The sqlite command you are using its second column values give you the Bundle Id of the software, why double the work. Use the following command on the sqlite prompt to find out the fields of the 'kext_policy' table.

PRAGMA table_info(kext_policy);

The following lines are copied from my computer.

sqlite> SELECT * from kext_policy;
9PTGMPNXZ2|com.symantec.ips.kext|1|Symantec|5
9PTGMPNXZ2|com.symantec.internetSecurity.kext|1|Symantec|5
9PTGMPNXZ2|com.symantec.nfm.kext|1|Symantec|5
TXAEAV5RN4|com.epson.driver.EPSONProjectorAudio|1|EPSON|1
TXAEAV5RN4|com.epson.driver.EPSONProjectorMPPAudio|1|Seiko Epson Corporation|1
9PTGMPNXZ2|com.symantec.SymXIPS|1|Symantec|1

sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(kext_policy);
0|team_id|TEXT|0||1
1|bundle_id|TEXT|0||2
2|allowed|BOOLEAN|0||0
3|developer_name|TEXT|0||0
4|flags|INTEGER|0||0

a_holley
Contributor

I would also like to know the answer to that @Kyuubi.

We are looking at moving to Sophos Central and I'd really rather avoid the hassle of having our 950+ users click 'Allow'.

tjhall
Contributor III

@Kyuubi If the kext has been approved correctly there won't be a notification at all.

cholschuh
New Contributor

@trlatimer Did you ever find another method of resolving this problem ?

PE003JI
New Contributor

@trlatimer I'm also curious if there was a resolution to this issue?

rkelegha
New Contributor III

anybody getting the "blocked system extention" when they upgrade to catalina?
Im getting it now :(