How to make 250 Unmanaged Laptops as managed

msjgc
New Contributor II

We recently imaged about 250 macbook airs using casper imaging but later noticed that they all show up in JSS as Unmanaged.

Is there a way other than recon that we can make them manage again ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

msjgc
New Contributor II

Thanks Guys. I did found a way of making them all managed at one go.

Below are the steps if anyone needs it:

Since the Macbook Airs are already in the JSS Inventory we can easily search for them in the JSS through "Search Inventory" and or creating an "Advanced Computer Search" once we have the list of 250 MacBook Air's we can then use a "Mass Action Update".
There is a button on the bottom right hand side of the screen named "Action >".
- Select the "Edit the Management Account Information" radio button and click on "Next"
- Enter the Username and Password of the Administrator's account that was created at imaging, click on "Next"
Note: The management account is not updated on the computers, and the change is made on the computer record itself. So the account must exist on the MacBook Air's already.

Once the above step has been completed the MacBook Air computer records should update and change from "unmanaged" to "managed"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Nope. If they are truly unmanaged, there's no way to set up a policy to run on them. Unmanaged means they aren't checking in with your JSS and would not even be able to run a policy against the JSS if you sat down at one and ran something like sudo jamf policy or whatnot.
You can use Recon.app's Network scan feature, if you imaged them with a standard local admin account with a name/password that is known to you.

Another option would be to use something like ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) I don't know how many folks actually still use that anymore, but if by chance they were imaged in a way that would allow you to use that on them, you could build a QuickAdd.pkg out of Recon.app and then push that package to all of them at once.

I'm not sure if there's any better ways than that.

As an aside, I would investigate why they showed up as unmanaged in Casper if you used Casper Imaging. Did your imaging config in Casper Admin have a management name and password set up in it?

exno
Contributor

You can try going through the general section and edit the check box for allowing the JSS to perform management tasks. It would be a one at a time process IF that works from what i can see but its very likely that you will have to follow @mm2270 's post to manage them all more quickly.

- I am @exno or @exnozero on almost everything that exists.

msjgc
New Contributor II

Thanks Guys. I did found a way of making them all managed at one go.

Below are the steps if anyone needs it:

Since the Macbook Airs are already in the JSS Inventory we can easily search for them in the JSS through "Search Inventory" and or creating an "Advanced Computer Search" once we have the list of 250 MacBook Air's we can then use a "Mass Action Update".
There is a button on the bottom right hand side of the screen named "Action >".
- Select the "Edit the Management Account Information" radio button and click on "Next"
- Enter the Username and Password of the Administrator's account that was created at imaging, click on "Next"
Note: The management account is not updated on the computers, and the change is made on the computer record itself. So the account must exist on the MacBook Air's already.

Once the above step has been completed the MacBook Air computer records should update and change from "unmanaged" to "managed"

justm174
New Contributor III

@msjgc Thank you. This saved me a lot of time