How to update to Safari?

mfletch
New Contributor III

How are you updating your users to the latest version of Safari (17)? Mac Apps does not have Safari available and you can't add Safari to VPP, so I tried creating a package using composer and adding it to a Patch Management policy and pushing it that way, but that is not working. I also tried just creating a regular Jamf policy and adding the package there and pushing it out, but no dice even though the logs show it was installed successfully, but when the machine runs recon it still shows the old version of Safari, not Safari 17. I have Software Updates (System Settings>General>Software Updates) disabled because Restricted Software was not restricting users from going to macOS Sonoma, so this may have something to do with why I'm not able to update these devices to the latest version of Safari, but at this point It's just a guess.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ashok_A
Contributor

@mfletch - you may try the below simple code by executing on recurring check-in weekly once on all computers. This is how we keep our Safari Browser up-to-date. 

#!/bin/sh

Check_SafariUpdate=$(sudo softwareupdate -l | grep Safari | grep -o 'Safari[^[:blank:]]*' | head -n 1)
/bin/echo "$Check_SafariUpdate"
sudo softwareupdate -i "$Check_SafariUpdate"

Best Regards,
Ashok Amirthalingam
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashokamirthalingam/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

download from here: https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-safari-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

And use Patch Management

If you look at the PKG its not a normal package (check it with Suspicious pkg) lots of perl scripts etc.. its not a normal pkg installer.. thus you can't just pkg it up.. 

@jamf-42, Thank you!

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Safari for N-1 (Currently Ventura) and N-2 (Currently Monterey) MacOS builds can be downloaded from Apple, its provided as a package. For the Current build of macOS (Currently Sonoma), Safari can only be installed with OS updates. You cannot package Safari and deploy it manually. Safari is not an Appstore app, and would not be deployed with VPP.

Do check your software update deferrals. You may have nonsoftware updates deferred. If nothing is deferred, make sure nothing is filtering Apple traffic as that will also prevent updates from working.

Solved: Safari 17 for Ventura - Jamf Nation Community - 300193

mfletch
New Contributor III

@jamf-42  @AJPinto  Thank you very much for the information! I've downloaded the package and have it in the Patch Management definition and scoped and now I wait and hope it works! :) 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

scope small, test, check it works.. then move to production.. 

Ashok_A
Contributor

@mfletch - you may try the below simple code by executing on recurring check-in weekly once on all computers. This is how we keep our Safari Browser up-to-date. 

#!/bin/sh

Check_SafariUpdate=$(sudo softwareupdate -l | grep Safari | grep -o 'Safari[^[:blank:]]*' | head -n 1)
/bin/echo "$Check_SafariUpdate"
sudo softwareupdate -i "$Check_SafariUpdate"

Best Regards,
Ashok Amirthalingam
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashokamirthalingam/

mfletch
New Contributor III

@Ashok_A Thank you, that worked great!

cyberphol
New Contributor

@AJPinto, this worked for us. Thank you!