iMacs Crash at Black Screen at Morning Power on

ccsshelpdesk
New Contributor III

Right now this is one issue I'm struggling with and wondered if anyone had come across the same issue.
I have a power schedule that turns all iMacs off at 9.20 pm and then on again at 830 am which works perfectly.
But I have run into an issue with some of the iMacs coming on in the morning, as they just hang at a black screen (looks powered but backlight only)

But after some SSD upgrades this summer I have noticed a pattern.
ArtRoom1 - iMac13,1 - Standard drives no issues - SSD no Issues
MediaRoom1 - iMac 14,3 - Standard drives issues - SSD no Issues
MediaRoom2 - iMac 16,1 - Standard drives issues

MediaRoom3 - iMac18,3 - Fusion Drives no issue new room this year
ArtRoom2 - iMac12,1 - Standard Drives no issues - SSD no issues
MediaRoom4 - iMac18,1 - Standard drives issues - SSD no issues

So the rooms I have issues with last year most I have upgraded to SSD drives this year and the issue has stopped totally in those rooms. The only room I've still got issues with is the only room left on old drives (getting SSD drives next summer).

PS... all rooms were fresh imaged this summer same image.

I just wondered why I'm getting this issue which seems to be drive related, but not on all kit as even some of our newest 18,1 had the symptoms on 50% of the kit but after the ssd upgrade a month ago totally fine now. but our latest kit on fusion drives are fine.

Anyone have the same issue and narrow down the cause?

Cheers all

1 REPLY 1

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

I have had a similar issue.

Our lab Macs were booting fine if you were in the room with them, but then after a few mins they went to sleep. Nothing you could do to wake them. I found the power settings were the culprit, Power Nap! and letting the HD sleep as well were causing my issue. Turn these two off and my Macs are all fine now. I have a script that runs and is supposed to set these, but for some reason it will fail on some macs, probably trying to set it too soon and SIP kicks in??