Improper Sophos Installation

alaiuppa
New Contributor

Hello,

As part of my deployment I have a package to install Sophos Cloud Endpoint on the user's computer.

When installed individually, without being part of the deployment, the package works.

However when the package is part of the installation I commonly get the below image, stating that it was installed incorrectly. On top of that, it is incredibly difficult to uninstall too.

Any thoughts or advice on what to try in order to fix this ?

533ae1ea73e345bb85fa4b2a2c4b343e

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cpdecker
Contributor III

@alaiuppa , I think I had this same problem. I am having trouble finding the support article that I referenced, but here's my install script that is working for us:

#!/bin/sh

# Change permissions on these files per Sophos support article
sudo chmod a+x /tmp/Sophos Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos Installer
sudo chmod a+x /tmp/Sophos Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/tools/com.sophos.bootstrap.helper

# Install Sophos Cloud
sudo /tmp/Sophos Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos Installer --install

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

cpdecker
Contributor III

@alaiuppa , I think I had this same problem. I am having trouble finding the support article that I referenced, but here's my install script that is working for us:

#!/bin/sh

# Change permissions on these files per Sophos support article
sudo chmod a+x /tmp/Sophos Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos Installer
sudo chmod a+x /tmp/Sophos Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/tools/com.sophos.bootstrap.helper

# Install Sophos Cloud
sudo /tmp/Sophos Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos Installer --install

cpdecker
Contributor III

alaiuppa
New Contributor

Hey Thanks for the reply! I was starting to lose hope.

Looks like a great solution. Forgive me, I'm a bit new to JAMF and Mac Administration, but do you think it is possible to bundle the installer and script together and have it deployed via a .pkg or .dmg as part of the imaging process? I know I can put those sorts of things together using composer and add it into my imaging configuration.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to mend the broken installation that usually takes place during our imaging process. Or to retain some form of automation during the install process.

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I have a solution for packaging Sophos, with a post on it available via the link below:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/06/17/revisiting-sophos-enterprise-anti-virus-for-mac-9-2-x-d...

alaiuppa
New Contributor

@rtrouton

That does help, although the Sophos product is different than mine so some things can be omitted. What software is being used to create the package in that solution?

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@alaiuppa

The Packages application was used to create the installer package:

http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html