Indexing a Package

Rich_C
New Contributor III

If Jamf Admin is being discontinued, How do we index a package without it for an uninstall?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Honestly, the Jamf uninstall process is not all that reliable or safe. Back when they introduced the feature, MacOS installations were much simpler than they are now. I wouldn't depend on using Jamf's uninstall these days for much of anything, assuming it even still functions.

Instead, look for vendor provided uninstallers to start with, and if not present, do some scripting to remove applications. My $0.02.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Not sure this has worked in many many years..  I would not use this for uninstalls.. Use the vendors or script it.. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Jamf is replacing Jamf Admin with Jamf Sync - Admin Tools - Jamf Pro and Jamf Printer Manager - Admin Tools - Jamf Pro. I would wager indexing would be added to Jamf Sync, but Jamf does not currently have the Application published to verify. However, I'm not sure many people are still indexing packages and any recent time I have tried to index a package it has failed.

Edit: Correcting myself, Jamf Sync looks to be a tool that just syncs two distribution points similar to JamfMigrator.

GitHub - jamf/JamfSync: Jamf Sync utility for synchronizing between Jamf Pro distribution points and...

scottb
Honored Contributor

The only reason I still have Jamf Admin is to sync cloud instances locally.

I hope that one of the above will allow me to do that?

And Jamf has already removed Admin from the 11.4.1 downloads...

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

The recommendation is to continue using Jamf Admin from 11.4.0, which still works.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Yeah, been using...just hoping it doesn't stop working!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Honestly, the Jamf uninstall process is not all that reliable or safe. Back when they introduced the feature, MacOS installations were much simpler than they are now. I wouldn't depend on using Jamf's uninstall these days for much of anything, assuming it even still functions.

Instead, look for vendor provided uninstallers to start with, and if not present, do some scripting to remove applications. My $0.02.