Installing LogMeIn Free (with LogMeIn Central) on imaging rollout

rshibley
New Contributor

Has anyone had experience packaging up Logmein in a way that makes it so it can be installed along with a system image in a multiple computer rollout? We have LogMeIn Central and it makes a deployment link that automatically adds the Mac to your logmein account, but it is asking you to confirm the computer name in the process. Is there any way to make this work without having lots of Macs on the account with the same name?

Thanks for any help or experience!

11 REPLIES 11

rshibley
New Contributor

I believe I have found my own potential solution for this. Apparently you can "silent install" the Mac version of Logmein as long as you have the deployment package for your account (which requires a Logmein Central subscription) with this command (in the appropriate directory):

sudo installer -pkg LogMeIn Installer.pkg -target /

I have tried it on a couple of Macs manually and it seems to work. To make this work, I presume you would push it out as a policy AFTER each Mac is assigned a discrete computer name (it will use the computer name as the Logmein identifier and will not ask for you to enter a computer name). It's not in the image as I was hoping, but I think it will work.

davidcintron
New Contributor

Hey, would you mind telling me how you got this working? I'm looking at trying to figure out how to do a LogMeIn deployment to Macs. We do have LogMeIn Central, but I can't figure out how to get a package installer version of LogMeIn that has our credentials. I'd love to be able to push it out using ARD. The command you list above, is that .pkg one you made or did you somehow obtain it from LogMeIn. The download I get is a regular .app, not a .pkg

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Same here

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Ah ours is log me in rescue.

macjustice
New Contributor II

Ran into the same problem with LMI Central installer. A snapshot-based package composer (such as JAMF Composer) seems to do the trick.

Kenescueta
New Contributor

This was much easier than I thought. All you have to do is create a blank package using Composer, place the app inside the package and create a post script that will run automatically (as the current user).

The end result is an 'ARD friendly' package. =)

I'll create a blog post so I can share the finer details, but it's really simple to get this going.

pbenton
New Contributor II

I was able to take Kenescueta's idea (Thanks!) and make a completely silent installer PKG from it. Tested and this now installs and joins the proper Logmein group and sets the settings as requested in the Logmein deployment link.

here is the steps to make your own:

1) Download Logmein Deployment installer App From Logmein Central Deployment link (LogMeIn Installer 4.1.3257.app)

2) rename file to your naming convention (EN LogMeIn Installer 4.1.3257 LogmeinDeploymentGroup.app)

3) Copy to temp location like (/tmp)

4) Create blank Casper Composer Package

5) Add the installer to the package by dragging in the file from the temp location (/tmp/EN LogMeIn Installer 4.1.3257 LogmeinDeploymentGroup.app)

6) Right Click 'Scripts' and Create a postflight shell script

7) Add the commands to execute the app with silent mode and to delete the installer (casper runs command as root) /tmp/EN LogMeIn Installer 4.1.3257 LogmeinDeploymentGroup.app/Contents/MacOS/Lili -s
rm -f -R /tmp/EN LogMeIn Installer 4.1.3257 LogmeinDeploymentGroup.app

8) Export as a PKG (non-flat) file.

wccadmin
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Has anyone been successful at doing this with the 4.1.4141 Installer package on Mavericks (10.9.2)? We've tried kbspcanada's method as well as just putting the Installer.app file in a DMG (or PKG), running the DMG, and then running a separate install script through the jamf policy after the DMG file. The install fails every time. Even running the install -s locally after the DMG adds the .app file isn't working. Any help or other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

pbenton
New Contributor II

i've still been using the 4.1.3257 version I first created. Have been using on 10.9.0, 10.9.1 & 10.9.2 deployments with no issue.

Mine are all done at imaging with the after reboot option. once the machine boots and installs it checks for updates and logmein auto upgrades itself without issue after that.

Downloaded the 4.1.4141 deployment package and all the components and layout look generally the same still. So I don't think logmein changed their setup any. Would have to test one on a new machine to be sure.

btaniyama
New Contributor

I'm seeing the same behavior on 4.1.4309. Even without -s, the install fails. wccadmin, did you ever find a solution?

EDIT: Actually, I played around with it a bit more, and I think I figured *something* out. In my install, the LMI app didn't like being run from the /tmp/ directory, so I moved it to the root of the drive (postflight deletes it, so it didn't really matter) and it installed successfully.

BrentSlater
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I have just put the latest version of LMI (4.1.4405) into the non flat pkg with the postflight script and it runs and installs without a hitch, however it always shows the machine as offline and regardless of switching the service off then back on fixes it.

This has been the fix in the past.

Has anyone come across this and /or has a solution?