JAMF Admin wont add printer

gwhaley262
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to add a mapped printer to JAMF Admin. However, after selecting Add Printers, JAMF Admin will only see two of the printers installed and not the one that I want to add to the console. Has anyone experienced this or have any tips? All are welcome. I'm trying to add the HP Secure Pint printer as seen below.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.50.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-11 at 3.50.21 PM.png

3 REPLIES 3

gabe2385
Contributor

Hello @gwhaley262 

I have seen this when the printer object already exists in jamf or jamf admin. 

JKingsnorth
Contributor

I've been having less and less luck with Jamf Admin working for anything. I've always used Jamf Pro > Computer Management > Printers to add printers and just matched the CUPS (http://localhost:631/admin/) settings that are on the local computer with the printer installed. After that I'd upload the PPD file from /private/etc/cups/ppd. 

Not sure if this will work with Secure Print but I don't see why it wouldn't if you match the settings and upload a working PPD file.

CUPS Example:

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.24.41 AM.png

Jamf Pro Example:

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 9.27.22 AM.png

(These are 2 different printers so the settings are slightly different).

I can attest that Jamf Admin is just creating the exact same printer definition then when you create yourself in Jamf.. that said it is nice to test your manual install of a printer and know that it is capturing exactly the settings you tested, taking possibility of human error out of the printer deployment.