JAMF Composer Hanging During "After" Snapshot

lizzymiller
New Contributor II

I've been having some issues whereby JAMF Composer just seems to hang during the after snapshot on some software. It makes it through the initial indexing phase fine, however it looks like it hangs while adding files to the package staging area. It hangs on a different file each time, it is not consistent, but it is usually a file within the .app I am packaging. When I cancel creating the package source, it will usually spit out on error stating that it "can't communicate with the helper application." I've tried changing a few settings, namely I've whether or not the executables in the package require rosetta, but to no avail. (for the record, this software is advertised as being fully silicon-based, so there should be no requirements for rosetta).

Anyone have any ideas? I am wondering if I just want to throw up my hands and try making the package completely manually. I have been very frustrated with composer lately, but I digress.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

not familiar with Matlab, but have you tired drag and drop, rather the capturing before and post install? 

New - Monitor File System Changes -  Name  - Create Pkg Source 

Then bin anything its found and drag over the app from /Applications and what else it requires.. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

what version of composer? i know there is a PI and recent versions have become a bit... flakey.. 

lizzymiller
New Contributor II

Realized I forgot to mention, added it in a comment elsewhere in this thread. Composer version 11.3.2, I've tried a few different versions as far back as major version 10. I have been having issues with the newest 11.4 versions, like I mentioned.

lizzymiller
New Contributor II

Info I forgot to add- I am currently running composer V11.3.2. Ive tried a few different versions. The 11.4.x versions aren't working for me, because main UI components aren't rendering (sigh).

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

yea.. thats the PI with UI... what are you trying to pkg? 

lizzymiller
New Contributor II

I am packaging the Apple Silicon version of Matlab with some licensing information included. I've had this same issue hit some other packages I was working on intermittently, but usually it only happens once and then works the second time. This matlab package just does not want to complete.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

not familiar with Matlab, but have you tired drag and drop, rather the capturing before and post install? 

New - Monitor File System Changes -  Name  - Create Pkg Source 

Then bin anything its found and drag over the app from /Applications and what else it requires.. 

lizzymiller
New Contributor II

I did try this, I ended up with some missing files. That isn't surprising since matlab is a pretty large (>10gb) software and does a lot during its installation. I didn't think to just amend it after the fact, I was tunnel visioned on making the snapshot process work, probably out of frustration. This is probably the best solution though, thanks for the help!

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

10GB is huge! Im sure someone with more knowledge can help, but.. I'd look to break this down into components.. pkg the app, pkg the ancillaries, anything more that a couple of GB is going to be ...funky..