Jamf ensure policies are enforced, package not removed.

LoganS
New Contributor II

Hi, so in SCCM i have applications and do detection method for an application. With jamf of course there are packages and package receipts. When you have an essential application like an antivirus how do you make sure it stays on the machine. For example if a policy is set for recurring check in but run once per machine. Like I could set it to ongoing but seems bad to reinstall the package all the time. Wish I could just do a check to see if the file is there and if its not reinstall.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@LoganS You can create a Smart Group to check if a Mac has the item of interest installed (for AV products you'll probably have to create an Extension Attribute as just checking for the presence of an Application wouldn't be sufficient). In your Policy to deploy the software set the Execution Frequency to Ongoing, but use the Smart Group as a Scope Exclusion so Macs that report it installed won't run the Policy (be sure you do an Update Inventory in your Policy so the Smart Group for exclusions is updated immediately)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@LoganS You can create a Smart Group to check if a Mac has the item of interest installed (for AV products you'll probably have to create an Extension Attribute as just checking for the presence of an Application wouldn't be sufficient). In your Policy to deploy the software set the Execution Frequency to Ongoing, but use the Smart Group as a Scope Exclusion so Macs that report it installed won't run the Policy (be sure you do an Update Inventory in your Policy so the Smart Group for exclusions is updated immediately)

LoganS
New Contributor II

Thanks a bunch that makes sense I should have thought of using smart groups for this