JAMF software syncing with ServiceNow

dgarrigan9
New Contributor

Our ServiceNow Asset Management team is having an issue with devices that have been "retired" on their end.  The previous JAMF admin has those retired Macs set as unmanaged within JAMF.  The issue is the unmanaged Macs are still populating software within ServiceNow even though some of them haven't been online for 2+ years.  The asset management team wants me to clear all of the software data in JAMF so that any online mac reports back so their data is current.  I don't think that's possible and even if it was, that sounds like a bad idea to me.  Am I right in thinking that?

6 REPLIES 6

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

My question would be to you, or whomever: what value are you getting out of retaining those unmanaged records in Jamf Pro? If the devices are truly gone from your organization, and they're gone from ServiceNow, is there truly any value to leaving them in Jamf Pro?

To answer your direct question, there is no way to remove just the software information from an unmanaged computer record. It's all or nothing: either remove the computer from Jamf Pro or keep it and the data still goes to ServiceNow.

Thanks for the quick and fantastic reply @stevewood! The reason i haven't deleted them from JAMF is in case we get audited.  I took over this space at my company in early July so that aspect of it being tied to SN is newer to me.  I'd love to just get rid of them but the SN team wants to keep them for some reason.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That's an interesting reason. I would think that SN is your source of truth for asset records. As @pete_c mentions, Jamf Pro is a great management platform, but it really is suited to be an asset management platform. That's what SN and others are good for. Maintain asset information in the CMDB in SN. And if that data is there, and the devices are marked as retired in SN, then they should be able to be deleted from Jamf Pro and any auditor could see that paper trail. In fact, a workflow could be made in SN where a SCTASK is raised in SN anytime a device is retired. That SCTASK could go to you and pause until you've closed out your portion of the REQ indicating that you've deleted the asset from Jamf Pro. That should be enough of a paper trail for any auditor.

Another option would be to export a monthly report showing unmanaged devices and save that somewhere. Then delete the devices. Not as fool proof as a SN SCTASK workflow, but...

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

as @stevewood points out, we also questioned the value of keeping unmanaged assets in Jamf.  Given that all the assets in Jamf are synced regularly into SN, and SN can properly record an asset as "retired", including how it was dispositioned post retirement, and can keep that record indefinitely we decided that there wasn't much point in keeping them in Jamf as well. Keeping them in Jamf provided no additional value to us, but did create additional effort when we had to reconcile asset inventory.

pete_c
Contributor III

Jamf is a better management platform than it is an inventory manager. Record the legacy data and then get rid of it from the JSS.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

We delete all devices we dispose of from JAMF. There is not really a reason to retain the unmanaged records in JAMF. The only gray area would be long term offline devices that are still owned by the organization. What is the value you guys have in holding on to these records?