Just Discovered Search VPP Content Error

bvondeylen
Contributor II

Just discovered (and maybe most if not all of you already knew, but…) when doing a Search VPP Content, or looking at a Mobile App > VPP, the Column labeled "In Use" is WRONG.

Either JAMF needs to add another column or re-phrase the column heading. To me, "In Use" means "Installed" NOT "AVAILABLE in Self Service".

This is a blatant misrepresentation of Mobile Apps.

It would be FAR MORE useful if there were a column that let us know how many licenses were actually Used (installed). How many have been "Assigned" could be useful to make sure you have enough licenses available for everyone, but the number of licenses actually "In Use" would be far better.

So, right now, I have no idea how many licenses are actually "In Use" on our iPads. I don't see anywhere where I can find that out. I would like to know out of the 2500 licenses acquired, the number that have actually been installed and are "In Use".

Is this not possible on iPads? or is JAMF just not aware?

Hopefully, this is just an oversight and will be corrected soon.

2 REPLIES 2

bvondeylen
Contributor II

I see that I can 'individually' search for a specific app and find what devices the app is installed on and the version of the app that is installed.

Would really like to see Mobile Apps display the number of devices with the app installed so I can see at a glance. We have over 500 apps in Self Service. Going through each app one at a time is, well, time consuming.

Frustration…

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Bryan!
I guess I do not agree that this is an error or oversight. Once I scope an app, even to Self Service, I consider it "In Use" and so to be able to see at a glance if I'm getting close to running out is the information I need. Our users are downloading, deleting and re-downloading apps as curriculum needs are met. It is generally not needed to know how many are installed at a given moment. The information I need at a glance is if I'm pushing the ceiling of available licenses.
If I need this info on a specific app I can get it pretty easily as you mentioned above.
My App Catalog has 861 entries, and so i am working with a similar scope of content :)
Sandy