Keeping Licensed Apps Like FileMaker Pro up to date with "Apps"

TheMacGuys
New Contributor III

I am unclear as to how to keep licensed Apps, like FileMaker Pro, up to date with "Apps" in the JSS. 

I found lots of good stuff like Adobe Reader and I see FMP in that list too but how does it handle licensing? 

Testing with Reader worked flawlessly. But its a free app. It would be nice to use that Apps - JAMF apps area to keep as many apps up to date as possible to avoid packaging etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for that, video on TY or something?

Cheers..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TheMacGuys
New Contributor III

Thanks, That is what I was finding but was hoping it may have changed. In this case, I was hoping we could attach the FMP license for example. Thank you so much for the confirmation!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

talkingmoose

App Installers only handles installing and updating software. It doesn’t handle application licensing. You’ll need to deploy that using whatever methods you’ve been using.

I don’t know if the information in this Jamf Nation thread is still valid, but administrators have found ways to deploy licenses using Jamf Pro.

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/packaging-license-for-filemaker-18/m-p/156827

TheMacGuys
New Contributor III

Thanks, That is what I was finding but was hoping it may have changed. In this case, I was hoping we could attach the FMP license for example. Thank you so much for the confirmation!

kevin_neely
New Contributor III

Afternoon!

Figured out how to package the licensecert.fmcert with the app and distribute through Jamf Pro.

Based on Claris' documentation found here.  

Creating a customized FileMaker Pro .pkg file (macOS)

1. Create a working folder on a local drive.
  2. Download the FileMaker Pro .dmg file and double-click to open it.
  3. Copy these files from the open .dmg file to the working folder:
    • the FileMaker Pro.app bundle
    • the personalization file, Assisted Install.txt
      To set up an assisted installation, edit the Assisted Install.txt file and save the changes as plain text. (I added our certificate to AI_LICENSEKEY)
    • the License Agreements folder
  4. Copy the license certificate (.fmcert) file to the working folder.
    See About the license certificate file.
  5. On the Product Documentation Center, download "Apple Remote Desktop Deployment script for FileMaker Pro" (fmp_osx_deployment.zip).
  6. Double-click the fmp_osx_deployment.zip file to extract the script (AppleRemoteDesktopDeployment.sh).
    • Place unzipped script into created folder
  7. In /Applications/Utilities, start Terminal.
  8. Type cd "<path to script>", then press Return.
  9. Type sudo chmod +x ./AppleRemoteDesktopDeployment.sh, then press Return. When prompted to provide a password, enter an administrator password.
  10. Type ./AppleRemoteDesktopDeployment.sh "<path to working folder>", then press Return.
    The script creates a customized .pkg file in the working folder, ready to be deployed.

In Jamf Pro -

1. Go to Settings>ComputerManagement>Packages> and make a new package
  2. Upload the new .pkg file
  3. Save
  4. Go to Computers>Policies> and make a new policy with the new package. scope to where you want it.
  5. Save

This works like a champ. Not looking forward to doing this every time a new version comes out but it works.  

- Kevin