Lab setup

Chrisgo
New Contributor II

Hi All, I am setting up a lab site in our exciting JAMF environment. All that is needed is a word editor and Chrome for browsing. What is the best approach to achieve this? I'm trying to avoid getting the setup from our all managed Samrt group.

4 REPLIES 4

Chrisgo
New Contributor II

That is existing JAMF Environment. 😀

scottb
Honored Contributor

Are you asking how to install two apps - browser and text editor?  Lots of options, but basically you're going to get the packages you need (or make them) to install the apps.

Create policies and include the app(s).  I would imagine you want to use smart groups to only install on Macs without the two apps, so make groups that are scoped to "does not have".

Policy should include a recon (inventory update) at the end so the smart groups get updated properly.

You can set each one to install "once on each computer" and that would pretty much do it.
You can mess with other options and methods later, but this should show you how to get going...good luck.

Chrisgo
New Contributor II

Thanks Scottb,  I'll give this a try, I have setup pre-stage enrollments and site. Install policies are done. Now I need to give a host name to each Mac for the Lab. Can this be done in the smart group. I need to have a different computer name than what we have for out production environment.  

scottb
Honored Contributor

You can change the names, but you need to know what to, and then find the solution.

You can add those two apps to the enrollment a couple of ways.  Easiest is to just have them set to install at enrollment.  Another way is to use something like DEP Notify or SplashBuddy for prestage. Just depends on how much time/effort you have to put in.