Login Scripts Authentication error 10.8

LyndhurstSchool
New Contributor

Hi all,

We are running a mount script on login that mounts a users desktop and documents to an smb share on the server. Prior to mountain lion this worked with no issues at all. Now I am getting an authentication error when the script runs. Did casper change anything with the update to 8.6 or is it something in OS X. We are using the $3 to call the username in the script, and I feel that this may be the problem...

5 REPLIES 5

LyndhurstSchool
New Contributor

*UPDATE*

After working on this all day long, it appears that the problem is OS X is not sending the proper AD Credentials to the scripts on login. This is causing the SMB authentication error. Is there a work around or a fix for this? Here is the part of the script we are using:

/usr/bin/su -l "$3" -c "/sbin/mount_smbfs "//servername/location/toshare/${3// /%20}/desktop" '/Users/$3/Desktop'"

As you can see we are running the command as the currently logged in user and we are getting an authentication error...this worked perfectly with 10.7.4...

rhs615
New Contributor III

I'm also having this issue. Though I think it is a Kerberos change in 10.8. It looks like even with a valid ticket, it still prompts me for a password in terminal. Kerberos should allow this to mount without authentication.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I don't use that script, but an AppleScript.

It's currently working across 10.6 - 10.8

http://macmule.com/2011/09/08/how-to-map-drives-printers-based-on-ad-group-membership-on-osx/

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Me too AppleScripted App

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Running it as a login policy is your problem. Because you're realistically running as a different user (root or the casper admin account) OS X prevents access to the user's issued Kerberos tickets. This is a security feature, not a bug.

Run your script as a launchd item instead and it will work fine. (This is what I'm doing.)