Mac Apps Vs. Microsoft Auto Update

mfletch
New Contributor III

What is everyone's thoughts on using Jamf's Mac Apps for patching Office apps vs Microsoft Auto Update (MAU)? I know MAU gives you more channel options, but I see a fair number of machines that aren't up to date using MAU and I have to assume it's because they aren't quitting out of the apps that need to be updated so MAU can do the update. Mac apps on the other hand seems to only give you one version to patch for (The most current), so I'm trying to get a grip on best practices for patching. Any help is appreciated! 

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mfletch At first I read your question as MAU or Mac App Store, and was going to reply that using the Mac App Store for organizational Office app deployment should be avoided even though MAU has become a hot mess. If you're looking to use the Jamf App Catalog that is something I'd recommend until Microsoft can demonstrate MAU is once again reliable through several update cycles. The reason I'd prefer MAU when it's working is that it's the only mechanism to use delta updaters for the monthly Office app updates which are typically only a couple of hundred MB. Updates via the Jamf App Catalog are the full app installers which are over a GB.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

I stick with MAU despite its funkiness.. I use this script as required, Self Service etc 

https://github.com/pbowden-msft/msupdatehelper/blob/master/MSUpdateTrigger.sh

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jamf-42 Is the MSUpdateTrigger script functional with the latest releases of MAU? When I switched to MAU auto updates in 2021 it was primarily because msupdate would go off into la la land when told to apply an update (I don't recall the message it displayed when that happened).

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

its a Self Service option we use when things get 'stuck' .. its legacy code and deprecated.. but last time it ran.. it worked...  maybe I need to review.. and.. add to list 😎

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

there is also the v4.64 autoupdate schema.. with a 'force update' option.. I have not tested.. 

Capture 2024-02-16 at 14.50.25.pngCapture 2024-02-16 at 14.50.40.png

mfletch
New Contributor III

Good stuff, thanks for pointing that out! 

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Will start testing MAU 4.64 as well.

I use MAU and Patch Management to catch stragglers. For some reason, like others, MAU doesn't catch all of em, but Patch Management would.

Testing Mac Apps, but stopped. Now that they have more options, I'll probably go that route. I like the option of opening the app (if open) after the update.