Mac OS Onboarding in Jamf Pro

davehansbury
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing some testing with the Mac OS onboarding feature and getting mixed results.  On first login with newly enrolled Macs I see Self Service launch as expected but the Mac OS onboarding screen doesn't kick in.  I've checked that all polices are set to be available in Self Service, frequency set to once per computer with no other trigger enabled and I've made sure all required polices are ticked in Mac OS onboarding.  I've made sure Mac OS onboarding feature itself is enabled and "Launch Self Service when done" is enabled in User initiated enrolment.  I've seen some success with leaving the Mac for 10-15 minutes then relaunching self service which kicks Mac OS onboarding in to life but it's not consistent.  Any help greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

stutz
Contributor

Seems to work in our test environment where we just have 1 policy to use for onboarding.  However, in our production environment we cannot see all of our policies in the policy list (yes, they are all setup for Self Service).  The problem is we have like ~150 self service policies (all setup and scoped the same way), we only need like 10 of those but the onboarding settings page only shows us 100 results.  Its a bug in their software because if you sort the list you get the other half of the policies that don't show.  If you sort the policy list, select the policies and click save, all of your policies become "unchecked" and nothing gets saved.

I cannot speak to your issue about the onboarding window not appearing quickly after enrollment.  In our testing it maybe takes 15-20 seconds before the Self Service (onboarding) window shows up.

hakimig
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue today all sudden with the onboarding window not launching.

stutz
Contributor

@hakimig I experienced the same thing last Friday.  I think there is still an issue today with onboarding working.  I got it to work on one machine automatically but another didn't start at all and had to manually open Self Service to get onboarding to start up.

It would be nice to have a specific Jamf command to run to actually kick off the onboarding process when the computer fails to start it automatically.  As a backup solution we created a workflow of policies and added it to Self Service that kicked off each step of the onboarding process when this happens so we can at least image a machine efficiently.

FlorianBesel
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue since Version 11.5.
In 11.4 the macOS onboarding worked fine for me.

I've just tested it again. With 11.5.0-b.1.t1712264256 its working fine :D