Managing onetime Safari settings in Big Sur

jclark27
New Contributor III

Greetings all!

I'm wondering something. We currently want to have homepages set once during setup. I was imagining using something such as

/usr/bin/defaults write /Users/$currentUser/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari HomePage -string "https://apple.com"

However, it seems this is denied in Big sur, correct? Is there a way i can accomplish this without a config profile? We want to allow users to change but initially use this homepage.

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jclark27 It's not the simplest process in the world, but the approach I adopted for deploying Configuration Profiles with settings I want to allow users to change:

1) Create a Self Service policy the user can run which executes a script to create a hidden file used as a flag the user is requesting the profile be removed. The policy also runs a recon.
2) Create an Extension Attribute which looks to see if the flag file from Step 1 exists
3) Create a Smart Group whose membership is any computer where the EA from Step 2 reports the flag file exists
4) Use the Smart Group from Step 3 as an Exclusion for the Scope of the Configuration Profile I want the user to be able to remove

jclark27
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for the input!

Wow ok so I’m guessing I’m not too crazy for thinking this seemed harder than it used to be haha.

Cheers