Mobility profiles... how do I define a destination disk?

jardoin1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I should preface by saying everything I know about Mac Administration I've learned in the past 5 days, and I should probably mention this is an Active Directory integration. Our users reside in a server 2008 R2 active directory domain with a single domain controller (it's a small office). Currently (it's Windows right now) they write roaming profiles and folder redirects to a synology diskstation in our wiring closet. I'd like to point the Mac 'profiles' to a share I've setup on that diskstation. I've been tasked with getting a fully functional Casper / JSS setup up and running. Part of this is getting 'mobility' running. I think I can discern which directories need to be synced, but I have no idea how to make this happen given the interface I'm presented with in the mobility configuration profile. How do I define a destination disk, and how do I define a separate directory for each user? I've looked all over but the best I could find is an Apple KB (the same one support sent me about this issue) that says to go in preferences and tell it which directories to sync. That's great, but where do I define a network share to point it to? The "at path" screen goes blank after I put the UNC for the share I set up for it in there (it's SMB), so it appears it isn't saving it. Further there's all these options for syncing, and I can't seem to find a Mac equivalent for "%username%" to be sure I'm pointing the users to the proper place.

Any help is appreciated. I'm really at wits end here. This is proving to be a fairly large time sink. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jardoin1
New Contributor III

To let everybody know, I was told by support there is a bug in the system regarding mobility profiles and that's why this was behaving in a way that was fairly perplexing. Being a newcomer, this really threw me for a loop. So future searchers know - $USERNAME is the username variable, and you should be able to specify a destination disk after this is fixed.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jardoin1
New Contributor III

To let everybody know, I was told by support there is a bug in the system regarding mobility profiles and that's why this was behaving in a way that was fairly perplexing. Being a newcomer, this really threw me for a loop. So future searchers know - $USERNAME is the username variable, and you should be able to specify a destination disk after this is fixed.